Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App runs when headphones/speakers are disconnected (Android)

App runs when headphones/speakers are disconnected (Android)

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your reports. 

It appears that the the app is continuing to run rather than pause when any headphones or speakers are disconnected for our Android users. This may be causing a spike in battery usage.

If you're having the same issue, make sure to click +VOTE to stay updated.

You can also try these to see if that helps:

• Reinstall the app by following the steps here.
  • Made sure that the app is not running on the background
KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 
30 Replies

Screenshot.png

Please fix it, there is no way spotify needs to ping google backup transport

Having the same problem on my OnePlus 6T McLaren edition. Not just a pixel issue. 

Galaxy s9+

Android 9.0

Spotify8.4.94.817

Wiped and reinstalled numerous times, nothing is helping. Interstingly on my wife's s8+ this issue doesn't appear...

Hey there @larudnicki,

Thanks for letting us know these details. 

There's a newer version of the app available. Just to confirm, could you let us know if the issue persists for your Samsung device after updating to the latest version? If you haven't already, we'd also recommend removing any devices listed here and trying a clean reinstall of the app.

We'll be keeping an eye out of your reply 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your patience so far.

After running tests, our tech teams were unable to reproduce this. This could be due to individual device setups with Bluetooth devices and connections.

However, we're continuously working on improving the app, so we'd recommend making sure that you've enabled automatic updates on your device.

Thanks!

KaterinaModerator

Having the same issue on my brand new Pixel3a. All apps up to date. Tried clearing cache and data. 

I realized the issue when on airplane mode and listening to a downloaded playlist on a plane, so I suspect Spotify/Google services are causing the problem.

Same issue on a Pixel 2XL running the latest android Pie. Not only does spotify ping google play services but it also uses the linear acceleration sensor all the time when the app is running!. This can be easily checked with betterbatterystats on a rooted device.

Sort the app or keep losing potential premium users because the leftover spaghetti code is carried throughout the updates!

Oneplus 7 Pro here too - battery drain like **bleep** using Spotify.

Google Play services almost identical time used as Spotify.

I think Spotify is using the play services, for chromecast perhaps, and this is just dumb if there is no option to disable.

Just got Premium for Family and I am seriously considering stopping the subscription and moving to something else..

If Spotify introduces a feature to not poll for any connected or available devices, I believe it might fix  the problem.. but it seems like you have completely abandoned this thread.

I have this problem too.  If I am on a phone call using my Samsung Buds Pro and then take them out and put them back in the case, Spotify comes on my phone speaker and starts playing the last song I listened too.  I've searched and not found an issue resolving this problem.  I've cleared cache, have the latest software, reinstalled software.  I'm running a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.  Every time my headphones are disconnected from the phone, Spotify plays.  There is no way for me to close Spotify down unless I open the app and then pause it.  It doesn't pop up on the screen and is playing in the background.  Very frustrating, especially at work!!!!  What is the fix here????????????

Hey @jbyao,

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, but to be sure that we're on the same page - did you use these steps for a clean reinstall? They are more thorough than a regular one. That way you can make sure the cache is not causing this issue.

Also, and if possible, would you mind trying with different headphones to see if this makes any difference. This is because some devices have their own way of interacting with the phone and app based on the type of bluetooth integration and features they have.

If the issue happens with other headphones, include in your next response the OS version of your phone, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to keep investigating your case.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts