Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Artist Radio: More Songs DON'T Load as You Listen

Solved!

Artist Radio: More Songs DON'T Load as You Listen

On a Premium account, Artist Radio lists have a note at the end that says "More Songs Load as You Listen.' That would be great, except more songs don't load.  When I've listened to the initial list of songs the Radio just stops playing.  Anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have the same behaviour but only when I'm playing through a spotify connect device. I have reproduced this behaviour with multiple spotify connect devices and different controlling players and accounts.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Ran into this problem today after re-subbing. Clicking play next to a song in the playlist seems to force it to load more songs for me.

Marked as solution

Wow. Thanks for figuring this out. I had noticed that sometimes this feature works and sometimes it doesn't. Turns out you're exactly right! I often listen through the phone on my commute to work but when I'm at home and connected to my Onkyo receiver  it never loads new songs. This IMO is clearly a bug. I am using the Android App. Pretty annoying. I wish more streaming services had app support for my Onkyo hardware. I'd be hard pressed to keep my spotify premium subscription that delivers less than premium features.

EDIT: So after taking some time to dig into this, for me it is strictly isolated to Spotify Connect on this receiver, and also my last one, which was also an Onkyo. So, as a test I decided to try using Spotify Connect on my Nvidia Shield TV and guess what? It works flawlessly. So this tells me that in the case of using Spotify Connect on a home theater receiver that it's not the Spotify app that's broken, it's the version of Spotify Connect that's built into the receiver and thus should probably be taken up with the receiver manufacturer rather than Spotify.

20 Replies

Works fine for me. Does this happen on all artists or just one (easy to check quickly by skipping tracks and seeing if new ones are added).

Pretty sure it's all artists, though I'll check to be certain.  This is on an Android, by the way, which I use as a wifi remote to stream directly to receiver, not that this likely makes any difference, though.

I'm seeing the same behavior on my Android tablet and phone.

Marked as solution

I have the same behaviour but only when I'm playing through a spotify connect device. I have reproduced this behaviour with multiple spotify connect devices and different controlling players and accounts.

I opened a ticket with Spotify about this issue. After a number of emails trying to help me 'troubleshoot' this issue, here's the response I got:

"The number of tracks will remain at 15. We understand it's a bit confusing or contradicting since it says more tracks will load as you listen.
"If you return to a station within 8 hours, the playlist will pick up where it left off. If the station is inactive for more than 8 hours, the playlist will rearrange and start fresh.
"If you’ve been playing your Daily Mix continuously, or played it and hit pause, we won’t shuffle it for you until you actually switch to some other playback context and then return 8 hours later. Keep in mind every 8 hours it doesn’t refresh with new content, but rather shuffle the existing pool (which itself updates weekly).
"We refresh the underlying clusters (based on your listening data) once a week. You can use the heart button to save any favorites you discover through Daily Mix.

Given their response, I posted a follow-up message asking if they had a "true radio" function in Spotify... something that would allow me to listen for 8+ hrs without needing to pick a different playlist.  Their response:

"Currently, we don't have an option to create a radio that will last many hours. However, we think it's a great idea and we’ll be sure to pass your suggestion onto the right folks here at Spotify.

Short version: Spotify does not have a radio feature.

Thank you for sharing.

Saves me the time to open up another support ticket.

Might still do so to show the necesity of this feature.

I have had the same issue last time when listening to spotify radio and it never loads as i listen to more songs,  it does works fine on my iphone, anyway to fix this on my computer?

Marked as solution

Ran into this problem today after re-subbing. Clicking play next to a song in the playlist seems to force it to load more songs for me.

The problem for me is on my computer its darkened out for some reason and it won't change to white, it's still playable as well as its available.
Marked as solution

Wow. Thanks for figuring this out. I had noticed that sometimes this feature works and sometimes it doesn't. Turns out you're exactly right! I often listen through the phone on my commute to work but when I'm at home and connected to my Onkyo receiver  it never loads new songs. This IMO is clearly a bug. I am using the Android App. Pretty annoying. I wish more streaming services had app support for my Onkyo hardware. I'd be hard pressed to keep my spotify premium subscription that delivers less than premium features.

EDIT: So after taking some time to dig into this, for me it is strictly isolated to Spotify Connect on this receiver, and also my last one, which was also an Onkyo. So, as a test I decided to try using Spotify Connect on my Nvidia Shield TV and guess what? It works flawlessly. So this tells me that in the case of using Spotify Connect on a home theater receiver that it's not the Spotify app that's broken, it's the version of Spotify Connect that's built into the receiver and thus should probably be taken up with the receiver manufacturer rather than Spotify.

Previous person that mentioned clicking play on a future song in the playlist - that works! Before the currently playing song had finished, I clicked on the PLAY button for the next song and around 6 new songs populated. 

Good work! 

Same here. But Spotify probably doesn't give a **bleep** and will never fix it. I think they make it a practice to focus engineering resources on constinuously developing new feattures rather than investing in hardening and bug-fixing the core product. That, or features like this are a/b tests intended to lift some user engagement metric, and if so, it's probably a reduced quality feature by design. Either way, it leads to a constantly **bleep**ty user experience. Kudos Spotify. 

Hi,

I run the spotify client on linux and had exactly the same problem. Music stops playing after x songs and no new songs are autoloaded. But actual if I hit the play button of the last song after the music stop new songs were loaded.

so it's a 'Weekly Mix'. 'Daily Mix' is a lie and false advertising

That works for me as well. However all the "thumbs ups" disappear when I do that. Strange behavior. 

Same on my Onkyo. Just bought a new Sony amp....same. Come on Spotify you can fix this. Pandora does it well.

I don't think it's designed to work on the desktop version. I can load more songs on my phone, but not my laptop. There seem to be a lot of features that are phone only or laptop only. It'd be nice if it worked the same regardless, but I get there are probably limitations. Just use your phone and forget about the desktop/laptop version

This is why I keep my Pandora subscription.

As it exists today, Spotify's "radio" feature is a joke. Clearly it wasn't thought all the way through.

This worked for me.

Suggested posts