BMW Connected Drive Android Issues

Re: BMW Connected Drive Android Issues

tonyx4

F30 2013 owner here. Had on off service issues with Spotify since the start of my PCP. Went through all software updates, had the car back. This was with IOS, iPhone 6. Apparently there's a lag between updates on IOS and BMW app wise, although you can use a USB to play Spotify via the phone. It removes the functionality of the app but at least you have something. I was going on 3 hour car journeys unable to listen to playlists atone point which to me is a dealbreaker when pay a premium for both the car, phone and app... And still no music.

Anyway, recently switched to android P10 lite as was sick of iPhone after 4 years of using iPhone and mac. Ofcourse completely gutted that android isn't supported (due diligence not done which was a big ooops for me here). 

Called BMW and on the third attempt they simply said they don't currently support android on the 3 series. Only new 5 and 7 series have the support.

So does anyone have experience of that? I'm waiting for the new 3's out next year at the moment but if not supported by android maybe tempted with a 5. 

martinsixsmith
Music Fan

For BMW to say that only the new 5 and 7 series support Android is completely new to me. Frankly, I get the impression, from BMW UK at least, that the answer you get depends on the person you speak to. It is low priority and they haven’t got a clue what they are talking about in my opinion. Last contact I had with BMW ( they called me ) was to say they were aware of the problem and were expecting an update / solution from Germany in the near future. Various blogs show that they have been saying that for the best part of a year so don’t hold your breath.

It would interesting to hear what the Android / Spotify experience is from owners of the new 5 and 7 series.

If you still have some years remaining on your PCP my recommendation would be to go for the BMW Online Entertainment ( assuming your media package accepts it ) solution where you have the choice of two major music providers. Works perfectly and no need to fool around with phones - iOS or Android. Thereafter, you can then choose a make of car which gives better support to this subject than BMW.

wolftec
Regular

I finally manage to work on my setup (BMW225Xe and Asus Zenfone),

Don't use the USB Cable! Only bluetooth.

Open the bmw connect app on the phone, open spotify, keep the Bmw connected app on the foreground.(i.e. Visible).

If you cannot connect just go to the connectdrive menu on the car, manage mobile phones, and for your currently connect mobile, first disable  then reenable the apps (box icon).

I think the main trick here is to keep the android bmw connected app on the foreground.

I've had the same problems as everybody, but now i did a 4 hour drive without any problems at all.

Hope this will helps.

martinsixsmith
Music Fan

Congratulations ! I am delighted that you appear to be the first person to find a solution to the Android / BMW / Spotify problem many of us have experienced.

It highlights the nonsense talked by BMW when they said that only the new 7 & 5 series were compatible.f

When you say “ keep the BMW Connected App in the foreground”, I assume you mean keep it in the foreground on your phone and keep it open to prevent it from sleeping ? If so, I tried this but it didn’t work for me - after a couple of minutes the phone reverted to lock screen . I assumed the BMW Connected was still working in the background but now I’m not so sure ! Also, if the phone is connected via Bluetooth ( which is the correct way, I agree ) and you have the BMW Connected App permanently on in the foreground, then how does that impact the battery life of the phone ?

Did you have media screen functionality ? By that I mean the ability to display album artwork, to select albums, playlists and individual tracks etc direct from iDrive ?

wolftec
Regular

Glad i could help,

Keeping the aplication in foreground means to have the aplication visible on the screen of mobile. there's no problem, in letting the phone go to sleep, but it should go with that aplication on the foreground.

I didn't notice much more battery consumption other that the normal spotify/4G operation, as usual.

I do have the media screen menus, the only bug i noticed is that if you operate it on the steering wheel, the list on the dashboard is still scrambled, showing current song name twice, and if you select any song it will not be the correct one.

But on operanting it on the IDrive controller/dipslay i works fine.

Seamasters
Regular

so you are saying. its not easy to connect it and get it up and running, and even if it does it doesnt work properly. lol i really hope BMW and spotify are listening to this. its such a shame. but i am glad it somewhat worked for you. i will try the process and let you know if it works.  

Seamasters
Regular

it doesnt work in my M4 either. it is annoying. BMW should not market something which doesnt work, whoever is incharge of this should be fired , **bleep**. 

wolftec
Regular

hi Again,

I've tested it today on my other bmw 420d , and it also works.

the real trick is to not connect the usb cable like the manual asks you to,  only connect with bluetooth.

keep the bmw Connected app on the foreground.

everything now works as it should, if i leave the car and comeback it will automaticly restart the spotify.

I've tested it on my wife 225xe (bussines NAV) , and on my 420d (professional NAV)

Boblarota
Casual Listener

Hello,

I'm a newbie with all this. I tried this morning connecting my Galaxy s7 with Spotify and Connected Drive open to my 2015 x5 but I can't get past a screen on the car saying Install BWM Connected app. This is with a USB cable. I tried Buetooth as recommended above but the car insists I have to use a cable. I've been using computers for decades and I can't understand why such a simple thing is so difficult!

20180626_122113.jpg

wolftec
Regular

Somethings to consider,

you should have the ConnectedApp on your mobile phone and a valid subscription for the connected app (yes, you have to pay for this piece**bleep**) .

The app needs to have storage permissions.

And you problably to should start with the USB cable, to see if at least you have some sort of connection.

Both my cars are 2018 models and mine Connected drive is diferent from yours.

SUGGESTED POSTS