Premium

Country

US

Device

OnePlus 6 and Pixel 5

Operating System

Android

Why is this a Spotify bug?

Because it only happens with Spotify, other channels like Youtube Music work as intended.

My Question or Issue

When I invoke Google Assistant and ask it to play a song on Spotify, I can't control the media through bluetooth controls, for example through my smartwatch or my earbuds. The only way to control the media (to pause/unpause, or play the next track for example) is to ask Google Assistant to do it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Invoke Google Assistant. I do this by triple tapping on my earbuds (Jabra Elite 75t)

2. Ask Google Assistant to play a song on Spotify.

3. Try pausing the song through your bluetooth device (on my earbuds, I single tap; on my smartwatch, I click on the pause icon) - the song will not pause regardless of the bluetooth device used.

The only way to pause the song is by asking Google Assistant to pause it, or opening the phone and manually pausing it.

After this bug has occured, Spotify needs to be force closed and restarted to have the bluetooth controls work through bluetooth devices. Also, any song must be started directly through the app, and not Google Assistant.

What should the intended behavior be?

Media controls should work regardless of how the song is started; through Google Assistant or by opening the Spotify app. Right now, starting songs through Google Assistant renders bluetooth devices unable to control the songs.

19 Replies

Re: Bluetooth controls don't work if Google Assistant is asked to play a song

Casual Listener

Having the exact same issues. I thought it was a problem with my new earbuds.. spent two weeks trying to return and get a replacement. Then went through the pain of buying yet another pair.. and then thought of testing with YT music and wallah! Works. So it's spotify that's the culprit.

Regular

Same here. Different phone (Moto G8 Power), different bluetooth devices (both my earphones and a car). Using google assistant makes bluetooth controls over Spotify stuck.

There's an easier way to unstuck it - it's enough to shut down google assistant process from the recent apps page. Not a real soultion to the problem, though - especially while driving.

I have reinstalled the app, cleared storage and cache, made sure spotify is assistant's default music provider, disabled android's battery optimization for spotify - and nothing changed. Pretty please, customer support, don't waste our time suggesting doing any of the above as you usually do.

Regular

Casual Listener

Yeah, I thought the issue was with my OS, so I was going to install a custom ROM lol.

Visitor

Same here, it started around middle december 2020 on my Oneplus 6T.

It is realy annoying when driving, as an alternative I started using google assistant to change songs by saying "next song".

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in the Community.

Can you let us know if your firmware is updated?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Regular

Hi. What firmware are we talking about? Android? I've got 10, latest for Moto G8 Power, no update available. Spotify's gotta be on its latest version too - as I reinstalled it from google play recently.

Hey @janekkuznik,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

In this case we suggest that you contact the device manufacturer so they can have a closer look into this.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Regular

Seriously? The devices mentioned in this thread are OnePlus 6 and 6T, Google Pixel 5, Motorola G8 Power,  by three different manufacturers, with three or four different ROMs... and what you suggest is contacting devices' manufacturers?

All three of them?

'Cause it's impossible that you, Spotify, have a bug?

'Cause you just don't care enough to look into it and fix it?

This is some next-level incompetence, well done Jeremy.

SUGGESTED POSTS