Announcements

Bluetooth controls don't work if Google Assistant is asked to play a song

Re: Bluetooth controls don't work if Google Assistant is asked to play a song

Hey again @janekkuznik ,

Thank you for your reply. We're sorry for the confusion.

We recommend that you contact Google assistant so they can have a closer look at this.

Let us know how everything goes. We're always one reply away.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Regular

YT music and Tidal don't have the same issue - you can both use google assistant and bluetooth controls during one session. I've just registred to Tidal to verify that.

It's only Spotify.

So Jeremy, are you gonna send this to devs so they'll look into it or is your recommendation to stay with Tidal?

Thanks.

Casual Listener
Jeremy, It seems to me that you're here not to help but to deny any possibility that the issue lies with Spotify app.

If you were trying to help, you would've at-least raised this with Spotify devs and tried to figure out where the issue is.

I've been able to reproduce this issue on Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ultra 5G, OnePlus 8 pro mobile devices and on Bose QuiteComfort earbuds, Sony wf-1000xm3, Sony wh-1000xm3 headsets. With any combination of these devices Google Assistant + YT music / Tidal works totally fine.

It's totally ok for you to say that you don't care about resolving the issue - we then have the option of determining whether to switch to another service or to endure the pain that is Spotify. But please don't make it seems like you're trying to help when all you're doing is blaming the issue on everything else.. Pretty bad outlook for a "top" music streaming service to have, IMO.

Thanks.
Madhu

Casual Listener

Jeremy, thanks for your replies, but we cannot contact Google Assistant because Google Assistant is not a manufacturer. Google Assistant is a system app on Android made by Google.

This is a Spotify bug and not an Android/Google/Google Assistant bug because this happens only with Spotify, not with other streaming apps like Youtube Music or Tidal. I've detailed steps to reproduce in the original post, but I'll repost them here so you can try them out and verify that this is indeed a Spotify bug.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Invoke Google Assistant. I do this by triple tapping on my earbuds (Jabra Elite 75t)

2. Ask Google Assistant to play a song on Spotify.

3. Try pausing the song through your bluetooth device (on my earbuds, I single tap; on my smartwatch, I click on the pause icon) - the song will not pause regardless of the bluetooth device used.

To verify that this is a Spotify bug, you can ask Google Assistant to play the song on Youtube Music. As you will see, after doing that, you can still use bluetooth controls to control the music (unlike Spotify).

Regular

I guess we've been ghosted.

This support page is... unbelievable.

Casual Listener

Should be useful to provide the affected versions.

S10e (SM-G970U)
Android 10
Google app version: 11.41.10.23
Spotify app version: 8.5.89.901

Visitor

I have the same problem - Bluetooth controls don't work after using a voice assistant to control Spotify on a brand new Galaxy S20 FE.

I have observed the problem using both Google Assistant and Bixby to control Spotify...I get the same behavior.

Visitor

I also have this problem in my oneplus 7t

I can confirm that Spotify is the issue. NOT Google assistant! I'm using a OnePlus 7T. YouTube music and Bluetooth controls work perfectly fine with Google assistant however Spotify is just a mess. Has been since November.
The dev team really needs to up their game!

Casual Listener
I have the same problem on my Galaxy Note 10+. If I start Spotify and manually select music my car controls work. After invoking Google assistant to play a song I have to reboot to get my car to control the music again. This ONLY happens with Spotify, not any other music service app. This use to work just fine. I'm the QA Manager for a well known media company and I can tell you this is a Spotify issue. Directing people to contact Google is irresponsible and honestly ridiculous. If Spotify has widespread issues with this which obviously is the case, any good customer centric company would work with Google to resolve the issue. Maybe we should just switch to Amazon Music or Youtube Music since their apps don't seem to have this issue.
SUGGESTED POSTS