Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bluetooth media controls not working

Bluetooth media controls not working

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

OnePlus 5T

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

When I connect my phone to my car's stereo, the media controls only allow me to skip one song until I reconnect to the stereo the next time I drive. I have tried reinstalling the app, and disabling car mode and the problem still persists

19 Replies

Hey @Beaus1966 thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community,

Just some quick questions,

What is the make and model of your car, and are you using android auto or bluetooth only?

Let me know, 

Jack

I am using an aftermarket headunit, a JVC KW-V240BT, only bluetooth, no Android Auto.

I forgot to include that the media controls worked perfectly before I updated the app to the new interface.

Hey again,

I would actually recommend doing a clean reinstall on your device. It might also be beneficial if you can restart your device, although it sounds simple, it can help from time to time. 

Finally, if none of those work try clearing your cache and data by following these steps: 

1. Step 1: Head to the Settings menu. 
  2. Step 2: Find Apps (or Applications, depending on your device) in the menu, then locate the app that you want to clear the cache or data for.
  3. Step 3: Tap on Storage and the buttons for clearing the cache and app data will become available.

Here is a picture and video to help with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-PeUOLLk0s

Let me know how it goes,

Jack 🙂

android6marshmallow-appinfo.jpg

Puedes volver a instalar la app para ver si es un problema de la app o probar los 30 dias gratis de spotify Premium. Si todo sigue sin funcionar, comprueba la marca de tu coche y móvil para ver si son compatibles

Hey, I am also experiencing a similar issue. 

Plan: Premium Family

Device: OnePlus 6, Android 9

Car: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C300

When my phone is connected to my car, it won't display the song metadata, how far into my song (the time) nor will it switch music.

I also noticed that whenever my phone is connected to my car, the album cover doesn't show as my lockscreen background when it should. (And it does when it's connected to my Bluetooth or wired earphones/not connected to anything)

I'd guess and try to connect via aux cord, my car doesn't have an aux input so I can't. 

I tried to reinstall my whole phone, it still doesn't work. But my phone's media controls work with a bluetooth speaker I own. 

I have also tried a spare phone (a OnePlus One) and that works perfectly with my car's stereo.

Hey all,
Just throwing this out by there, maybe make sure both your car and phones software is up to date, I will continue to look for a solution for this problem.
Jack

Thanks Jack,
Both my phone and my stereo's software are up to date.

Thanks for looking into this,
Nick

Have you guys found a solution to this issue?

Got exactly the same Problem with OnePlus 7 Pro. Got the latest software and tried reinstalling Spotify. Nothing helped so far. I can skip one song and then the controls dont work anymore. My car ist an 2018 A-Class.

Btw controls do work with Soundcloud app

I have the same problem with my OnePlus 7 Pro. Also the track info isn't showing on the cars display. I had a Galaxy Note 8 before the OnePlus and it worked without issues. My car is a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulietta. 

The problem is the latest Spotify app is causing this issue. You notice how everything was working before all last year and all of a sudden this year with so many updates of the app now things aren't working. I had to downgrade my Spotify version. The software engineers changed something and now we have issues with the latest app. 

What version of the app works for you?

Thanks, I'll try that version again

Yea Spotify support had me delete the app, clear cache, etc. No luck. Until I read others had issues and downgraded for it to work correctly.

The latest version worked just fine on my Note 8. But on my OnePlus 7 Pro it doesn't. So I think it is also device related.

Gotcha, looks like OP6T and Spotify aren't getting along. 

I just got the Android 10 update and now it is working great.

Suggested posts