Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bug: Spotify won't stay online with songs available offline

Solved!

Bug: Spotify won't stay online with songs available offline

Device: Samsung Galaxy Player YP-G1 
Firmware 2.3.5 
Kernel 2.6.35.7-G1UEKI8-CL562400 se.infra@sep-59 #2 
Build: GINGERBREAD.UKEI8 

Spotify version 0.4.12.180 
(but bug has been around for months and months) 

Steps to reproduce: 

1. Install Spotify on device 
2. Log in 
3. Make any playlist available offline, even a small one with 10 tracks 
4. Wait for Spotify to sync 
5. Completely exit Spotify 
6. Restart Spotify. 
7. Spotify will not stay online more than a few seconds no matter what you do. 
8. Restart Spotify as many times as you like and observe no change in step 7. 
9. Clear all offline data/wipe cache in Spotify 
10. Restart Spotify 
11. Spotify will now stay online.

28 Replies
Marked as solution

I have the same problem with my Asus Transformer Prime running ICS. When syncing offline content, after a while Spotify goes offline and theres nothing I can do to get back onlline but to clear all my offline content. My HTC Desire running Froyo works fine.

Same on my Galaxy Nexus.

This is seriously crippling the device.

I also might add that in all cases, something about connecting to facebook is seen prior to the problems.

I am seriously considering stop paying for Spotify if the software is as flaky as it has been lately.

I ended up giving up on my Android tablet and bought a new iPad. Whilst Spotify does work on it, it's just a scaled up iPhone app! Really needs an iPad app.

I have cleared my offline playlists but Spotify on my Kindle Fire and also on my Android phone will not stay online even when I have a full wireless signal. Any advice to fix would be appreciated as this is very annoying to pay for a subscription and not be able to listen on any of my mobile devices.

Thanks!!

What is the status of this bug? I really would like to have off line work with Android.

Hey there sdrc, this is a bit of an old thread so I'm not sure it's the same issue. What kind of problems are you having?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Same issue that started this thread. If I choose a playlist to be offline the app will stop working after it downloads 2 or 3 songs. Only way to get it to work is to kill the off line content and restart the app.

Ok then, which device and version of the app are you using?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

If you refer to this thread, you will see that it is IMPOSSIBLE to cache playlists and return to online mode if you have a Wifi-Only device, like people here who mentioned the Galaxy Player, and the various Wifi-Only Tablets.

Literally, the ONLY way for Spotify to work properly on a Wifi-Only device is to not cache a SINGLE playlist. Of course, this cripples the app since the device has no cellular connection, but has to stream music to play.

After caching a playlist and being stuck in Offline mode, if you simply delete the cache and all offline files, you should be returned to normal. So you could Sync a couple playlists and they will last in Offline Mode for some time (28 days?) time before you need to start over with your updated playlists and re-sync

Suggested posts