Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can Spotify play a file directly from an Android hard drive?

Solved!

Can Spotify play a file directly from an Android hard drive?

Is it possible to play mp3 files (or any file type) of tracks that are unavailable in the Spotify database if you have the file on your android?  If so, how?

There are tracks I would like to listen to through Spotify that are not available to stream from their database.  I understand that not every track in the world will be available in their database for various reasons.  However, if the mp3 of an unavailable track is located on my hard drive of my android shouldn't there be a way to sync this file to the Spotify app so that it can play along side with the available tracks that can be streamed?

I attempted syncing some of these files to my android app via the computer app using the "Local Files" playlist.  "Pending" is constantly displayed over the playlist and no syncing actually occurs.

I have also tried to adding tracks (some of which are available and some unavailable on the Spotify database) to a dummy playlist to see if they would sync over to the android.  The tracks available on the Spotify database can play from the android without any problem.  The tracks unavailable on the Spotify database cannot play even though these files are available on the android hard drive.  "This track is not available" is displayed at the bottom of the app.  (I assumed this would happen since the android app would not know where the file is located without me mapping it.)  The tracks that cannot play are gray.

I have Spotify premium.  Any help would be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The Spotify app does not play local files that are already stored on your Android device.

You will have to sync them from your computer to the app.

Try this:

1. Using the desktop app, add local music files you want to sync to a playlist. (I suggest naming this playlist Local FIles)
  2. Make sure your phone is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer.
  3. Tap the Menu button button.
  4. Tap Your Music.
    Your Music button
  5. Tap Playlists.
    Playlists button
  6. Select the playlist containing the local music files and press the Available Offline switch at the top.
  7. Available offline slider
  8. A green arrow will appear next to the tracks when syncing is complete for that track
    Offline sync green icon

Also, I suggest leaving the app open (turn off auto lock) because it can take a while to sync depending on how many local files you have. Sometimes syncing will stop when you close the app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

The Spotify app does not play local files that are already stored on your Android device.

You will have to sync them from your computer to the app.

Try this:

1. Using the desktop app, add local music files you want to sync to a playlist. (I suggest naming this playlist Local FIles)
  2. Make sure your phone is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer.
  3. Tap the Menu button button.
  4. Tap Your Music.
    Your Music button
  5. Tap Playlists.
    Playlists button
  6. Select the playlist containing the local music files and press the Available Offline switch at the top.
  7. Available offline slider
  8. A green arrow will appear next to the tracks when syncing is complete for that track
    Offline sync green icon

Also, I suggest leaving the app open (turn off auto lock) because it can take a while to sync depending on how many local files you have. Sometimes syncing will stop when you close the app.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks for the reply Matt!  I spent a couple hours last night trying to figure this out frying my brain in the process.  It's a bit of a work around but it does what I want it to.  Thanks!

You're welcome

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts