Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can i download ONLY the local files on my phone, in a mixed playlist?

Solved!

Can i download ONLY the local files on my phone, in a mixed playlist?

Info
Premium user
Italy
Asus zenfone 4 max (android, latest version available)
Country

My Problem:
I have a large library on my computer. about 18Gb worth of music, growing everytime i find something i like.
now, i have finally managed to substitute most stuff i had  with the versions I found on spotify, so that i'm down on around 7Gb of local files.

my problem is that if I try to make a playlist with all my music, local files AND spotify music, the app tries to download everything on my phone, which is an issue, since i don't have all that space on my phone.

is there a way to set spotify so it only downloads my local files, streams everything else, and i can listen to both without making separate playlists?
(yes, i know i could just buy a bigger SD card, but that's not my question)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Kinbeater, welcome to the Community!

Hope you are having a great day!

That's really a lot of music! Unfortunately there is now way to do it. Because since Spotify is a streaming service it get's the music from their own facilities which are online 24/7. In this case your PC will serve as a server that contains the songs but you will need to download those songs in order to play them. Spotify will serve in this case as a bridge here. Please refer to this FAQ for more info. 

However, if you would like, you can submit it in Idea Submissions board or support it if this idea has been already submitted.

I have a tip for you, since you said that this can work if you have 2 seperate playlists then I suggest to use Add to Queue for one of the playlists so it would appear like it was a single one. 

Hope I was able to help 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Kinbeater, welcome to the Community!

Hope you are having a great day!

That's really a lot of music! Unfortunately there is now way to do it. Because since Spotify is a streaming service it get's the music from their own facilities which are online 24/7. In this case your PC will serve as a server that contains the songs but you will need to download those songs in order to play them. Spotify will serve in this case as a bridge here. Please refer to this FAQ for more info. 

However, if you would like, you can submit it in Idea Submissions board or support it if this idea has been already submitted.

I have a tip for you, since you said that this can work if you have 2 seperate playlists then I suggest to use Add to Queue for one of the playlists so it would appear like it was a single one. 

Hope I was able to help 🙂

uh, i'll try that, thanks

edit. can i add the whole playlist to the queue?

also i posted an idea that would help much on this
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Your-Music-scanning-local-files-to-a...

Suggested posts