Plan

Student Premium

Country

USA

Device

Moto Z Play Droid

Operating System

Android Oreo, Windows 10

I can't play any music by The Notorious B.I.G. I have explicit content enabled. On my desktop, it says "We can't play this until you allow this artist in the Spotify mobile app". On my phone, it just won't play any music I select, and I can't allow or block any artists.

16 Replies

Hey @octopus3000! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

That's doesn't sound cool.

Have you tried reinstalling your app? If not here's a step by step tutorial

Let me know if that helps, thanks!

Peace

I did try reinstalling both the mobile and the desktop application. Neither worked.

Thanks

@octopus3000 

I've escalated your issue to the support.

I will reply on this thread with help soon. ^^

Peace

@octopus3000 

Have you enabled Explicit Content in each of your devices (desktop and mobile) as the setting only applies for the individual account and device? For example, if you apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app.

You can follow the steps here to check how to do that.

Let me know if that helps, thanks!

Peace

Yes. Explicit content has been enabled on both of my devices, separately.

Thanks.

@octopus3000 

Could you take screenshots of what you're seeing while trying to play the music of this artist?

Make sure that it doesn't include any private or sensitive info. ^^

Thanks!

Peace

This is what I see on the desktop version. I don't see any special warning on the mobile version. It just won't play.

spotify.PNG

Hey @octopus3000!

Sorry for the delay!

Are you able to play any non-explicit content from the artist?

And please check the 'Artists' tab on your phone, and look for an option called 'Hidden'. From there, you might find an artist you've accidentally chosen to block and un-block them. 

Please try to restart both of your devices to see if that makes any difference. ^^

Peace

Hey have the same problem. And it seems like i can only play it if i go offline. And the "block feature" doesnt show up for me...

Hey @9a-fvkg_qgu7j

Are you getting the same "We can't play this until you allow this artist in the Spotify mobile app" error?  And which artists are affected by this?

Let me know how it goes! ^^

Peace

The Living Tombstone and Tristam

@9a-fvkg_qgu7j 

Are you getting the same "We can't play this until you allow this artist in the Spotify mobile app" error?  

Peace

@9a-fvkg_qgu7j 

Is it possible that you might have banned these artists through a personalized playlist, like Discover Weekly or Daily Mix before this happened?

Peace

Hi I'm having that same problem too.I went to the artist tab on my phone and could not find this 'hidden'Thing. also have explicit allowed on both devices.This is very frustrating for me. Hopefully a solution can be found.Thx.

DB4L!!!!

I was having the same problem for years with the artist Thundercat.

The solution for me was to download one of his songs and play it. For whatever reason, I could play all of his songs again once I did that, even ones that I didn't download. Hopefully this works for everyone!

I found a solution that worked for me. All I had to do is on my phone go to artist tab and look up the artist that wasn't playing(Cheap Trick and Eddie Money in my case) I noticed that I wasn't following those two artist and so I started following them both and I was able to play each of them on my desk top App.Give it a try and hopefully it will solve the problem.

DB4L!!!!

Suggested posts