Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't download music to Android phone or tablet

Solved!

Can't download music to Android phone or tablet

I am having trouble downloading certain songs to my phone and tablet from my computer. I have a Premium account, and downloaded playlists work fine on my computer, but I have a lot of local files included in some of them. Most of these songs wont download to my devices. I have tried multiple solutions - like clearing the data/cache, reinstalling spotify, restarting my devices, restarting my internet, changing to high/extreme quality, etc. - and none have worked. I have made sure that everything is on the same internet network, though the only solution I have not been able to try is using someone elses network. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated 😕

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Until the androids show up under devices, you won't be able to synch. Try the steps in this post.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

You need to sync local files unless they are matched exactly to tracks in the spotify catalogue.

Can you see your android devices under "Devices" in the desktop client? If not, desktop Spotify can't see the devices on the network to sync the local files over to them. Make sure you have all firewalls disabled.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I've made sure that the local files are synced (I just spent some time redoing all of it) because my desktop Spotify can play it all. You're right about my phone and tablet not showing up in the devices of the desktop client, but I don't know what else I can do. I've tried restarting the internet and messing with some router settings. The only thing is I don't know too well how to check for any firewall/program stuff, but I don't really use anything like that so I don't know what could be blocking my devices from appearing.

If you are using Windows, follow the steps here to disable Windows Firewall:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-windows-firewall-on-off

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Well that did the trick for downloading stuff, as my devices have started downloading playlists, even though they still don't show up under devices on the desktop cliet. However, it's still not downloading some of my local files. I've made sure to add them through the preferences in the edit tab and the desktop client will play them. They're just not being downloaded to my devices.

Marked as solution

Until the androids show up under devices, you won't be able to synch. Try the steps in this post.

Those steps did the trick. I guess I just needed to restart all of my internet stuff before it would work. Not sure what to do about the firewall though because I don't really want to have to turn it off every time to sync but I'll survive.

Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it.

You should be able to see what needs changing in the firewall settings from the log. Some firewalls can be set to flag up a warning when a new connection is detected which might be easier as you can the just tell it to allow the connection if you know it is spotify.

Hi ,  Android devices now show up but i can't seem to differentiate each device (we have 4 - 5 Android devices running Spotify and 2 which we use offline often, 1 device by mistake i downloaded a few tunes and i'd like to remove that device from offline use to be sure the other 2 remain fine <as you knnow if a 4th device would to be setup for offline it would knock off one of the others>).

So basically while it is great we can now see Android devices for offline use in the web client, how can we tell which device we are viewing when selecting an Android device for Removal?    

In the past i have had 2 main important phones with thousands of songs downloaded for offline use only to have by accident downloaded even a single song on a 3rd an then 4th android device which then wiped out one of the 1st 2devices (hitting the 3 device max limit) and i'd like to always have only the 2 valid Android devices setup for offline use so i could be sure that those remain fine, the problem now is i want to remove the device which i only have a song or two and leave the 2 "good" devices but all 3 show up as "Android devices" with no way to differentiate each.

I see there's a date by each device?  Any good tip to ID each device?    Perhaps sync / turn online the 2 "good devices" and not touch the device which has 1 or 2 songs offline by mistake - then see the two that show with the recent date of sync (i'm guessing that the date shown is that of most recent sync)  and Remove the device with the oldest date (which would be the device that hasn't been used in a while and a device which we don't intend to use).

I'm not really sure what the date by the offline device is telling us - date 1st used offline, date sync'd last -  just trying to be able to ID the device b4 removing it -  i guess will just have to play around with it and learn by trying but i'd rather not go that route as re-downloading all over again thousands of songs once a device is removed is not much fun, ha.

Thanks

Attention potential saviour!

I have a Sony Xperia Z, Premium used to work perfectly and love/loved the service until I think an update changed that. Or it could be my phone. Made a new playlist on a new account hoping to reslove the fact I play a song and it cuts out 5 seconds in and I can't download any playlists. Tells me to go online and download then changes to turn on 2g/3g to downlaod a couple of seconds later. When i do it goes up percentage wise on the download but when i go to listen same problem- cutting out. I have very efficient 4G so don't think its the internet. Also tried deleting the app and wiping everything to start agin. I absolutely adore music and my music and would do ANYTHING to sort this problem.

HELP!

Suggested posts