Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't download the app

Solved!

Can't download the app

So I tried to download the new app, but I'm currently out of the country on business for a few months so the Play Store won't let me. I'm a premium member, so I'm not restricted from using the service while abroad, but the latest update has more or less shut me out.

Is there a way to get around the regional restrictions of the play store or am I stuck without Spotify for the next few months?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Can you download manually from the mobile site?
https://m.spotify.com/uk/?group=android

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

maybe install a VPN app such as TunnelBear or HotSpot Shield if you can through the Play Store. Then fire it up and change your locale to UK (if possible) then FC the Play Store, re-open it (while the VPN is running) and try to install Spotify.

Else you may just have to use the sideloaded apk from Peter's link above and when you're home install the version from the Play Store over the top.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Can you download manually from the mobile site?
https://m.spotify.com/uk/?group=android

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That worked, thanks!

However there is one problem when it comes to the manual download: it doesn't register in my apps on the Google Play Store so I won't be able to update it.

I'm going to use this for now, but I would like a more optimal solution (if one exists).
Marked as solution

maybe install a VPN app such as TunnelBear or HotSpot Shield if you can through the Play Store. Then fire it up and change your locale to UK (if possible) then FC the Play Store, re-open it (while the VPN is running) and try to install Spotify.

Else you may just have to use the sideloaded apk from Peter's link above and when you're home install the version from the Play Store over the top.

Android Troubleshooting:

Problem with the play store is that it restricts access based off GSM, not Internet access. So VPN only works in accessing the Spotify app page on the browser version of the Play Store, but it still can't be installed onto the device.

Using a VPN worked for me. I experienced the same problem - the new Spotify app wasn't available in my country. I rebooted my phone, activated my VPN (with a country where the app is available), accessed the website mentioned in the 2nd answer in the browser, and then clicked on the link leading to the app in the Google Play Store. There I could successfully install the new app.

I have had the same problem. I have updated the Spotify app and now can't download it! I have just tried to download it through the Spotify website but when i go onto my main page where the Spotify app appears it only downloads a certain percentage then completely stops. Anyone got a solution?? Thanks

@Hlprosser wrote:
I have had the same problem. I have updated the Spotify app and now can't download it! I have just tried to download it through the Spotify website but when i go onto my main page where the Spotify app appears it only downloads a certain percentage then completely stops. Anyone got a solution?? Thanks

You should get the application form the Google Play Store. Is there any reason you are trying to get the apk directly?

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts