Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't login if previously logged out while in 'offline' mode

Can't login if previously logged out while in 'offline' mode

I accentially logged out of my account when I was in "offline" mode.  When I tried to login again I recieved a message saying I couldn't do it while in offline mode, with options [ cancel || connect ].  Clicking connect did nothing, the only option was to cancel.  After trying several times I was forced to uninstall spotify and re-install from the play store. I tried to "clear data" and that didn't work either.  

When I did get back in, i noticed that all the music I downloaded was not listed as such, so I deleted the data directories for spotify again and did another re-install. Not sure if thats another bug or not, but don't care to file since it probably won't be addressed.  However, maybe the offline/login issue is serious enough to deserve a response.

FWIW, I set the offline mode when I travel so I don't accidentally start streaming songs over some of these limited data plans.  That combined with a new S8 and accidentally pressing the edges lead to this.  

I would like to post screenshots, but I kept getting a "denied due to security policy" on that activity.

19 Replies

A way to "solve" this is reinstall the app and download the whole offline content again. 😞 Of cause not very applyable when in a timed network connection.

This is a SERIOUS bug in Spotify ... The software should just ignore the "offline" setting when attempting to login ... Especially since you can't change the setting until you have logged in!

This has caused me to completely lose my downloaded music at least 5x in the last few months, and is so annoying that I am considering dropping my premium Spotify account and using a competitor.

This bug should be SIMPLE to fix and should be fixed IMMEDIATELY. There is zero excuse for something this "duh".

I Marked my previous workaround as "not the solution" to encourage the profesionals to take a closer look on this and ensure a fix will be delivered.

Hey @ametal what version of spotify are you running?

Restarting the phone if spotify was in offline mode causes an infinite loop of not being able to log in. The only possible action is to uninstall spotify and reinstall thus losing all offline playlists and albums. Frankly this is not acceptable,

I was told this was fixed in recent spotify versions which is why I was asking the OP for his spotify version. Ranting in this thread does nothing to help solve the OP's problem.

It just happened to me. So..... Not fixed

I agree it should be a simple fix and should be fixed. This issue has caused me the same grief time and time again. Not to mention the numerous random times my saved playlists switch back to my phone storage from my SD card making me download all my songs again. So as it seems so far the only method is to uninstall and reinstall. 

i've the same problem when logout in offline mode... the only solution that I found is reinstall (two times) 😕 ... i hope they fixed soon

Solved it: after several tries at different solutions with the chat online and through email, what did it is this last thing: 

We have a few troubleshooting steps we'd like you to try:

1. Remove and re-insert your SD card.
  2. Uninstall the Spotify app on your device.
  3. Clear your device's cache.
  4. Reinstall the Spotify app.

On another note, if you device uses battery saving mode, we'd suggest turning it off.

We'd also recommend you turn off automatic updates in your device's settings.  "

I'm going to try to copy this response to other threads with this topic, please let me know if it works for you guys as well. 

Turning off automatic updates is worrying. Is it an admission that they keep breaking things in updates?

This is unacceptable. This bug has to be fixed pronto!!! It is unacceptable to have to reinstall the aplication becuase of this bug.

Do not do this because you will have problems. The same thing happened to me. If you have playlists to use the off line, forget about having to log in again with Spotify, it will not allow you to connect to your Wi-Fi network. It is incredible that this happens.

My Spotify app recently updated whilst it was set to offline mode. I have limited data so I set it to offline. Would I need to uninstall and reinstall the app as it keeps coming up with the same message when I try to login after it finished installing the updates.

Check out what they said here - Offline Issue

I checked that post out. I have version 8.4.31 and funny enough I clicked on my app just now and got the fricking log in screen and now I can't log in and will have to once again download all my music again. I tried the cache dump and reinstall mention earlier in the thread and that worked up until 2 days ago when it locked me out again. 

Something still needs to be fixed in the app. It's so frustrating.

Boyd

Are you saying that "When you get the Please go online to connect to Spotify, just hit cancel > delete password > re-enter pw > log in. 

You should be able to get back in this way, without having to reinstall the app. " doesn't work either?

If so, you should start a new topic in ongoing issues, linking to the one they closed with indecent haste. If you post a link here, others with the same issue will be able to add their comments.

Same issue here. Can't log in no matter what I try, using login with facebook or e-mail/username and password. I've uninstalled and reinstalled once already and had to download all my music again - I don't want to have to re-do that a 3rd time! Please please fix this issue, Spotify!

Moto Z Play

Android 7.1.1

Spotify v. 8.4.38.621

This work around doesn't work at all, only solution is just uninstall and reinstall, unacceptable!!

Suggested posts