Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play saved/downloaded songs via artist section when on offline mode

Can't play saved/downloaded songs via artist section when on offline mode

Plan

Premium

Country

Philippines

Device

Huawei P30 Lite / Model: MAR-LX2

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Good day!

Recently, I updated (October update) my Spotify app on my Android smartphone. Then I am getting issues wherein I can't play saved/downloaded songs via artist section when on offline mode after opening the said app. It tells me to connect online when tapping the "Add Artists".

What I've done so far is to toggle offline mode on-off, clear cache, close and then re-open the app.

Please see screenshots for additional reference.

Screenshot_20201020_105039_com.spotify.music.jpgupdate-spotify.jpgspotify-offline.JPG

14 Replies

Update:

Tried clearing the cache, data and do a quick reinstall multiple times but issue persists.

For your quick response.

Hi there @Tonskyi,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed reply, we've just come across this thread.

Could you try performing a clean reinstall of the app? This is different that just deleting and reinstalling the app. You can find the exact steps in this Spotify Answer.

Also could you tell us the version of your Spotify app after the reinstall?

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi.

I would like to ask about the Step 4 on the "clean reinstall of the app". Do I have to skip it? Because I have downloaded/offline music on the internal storage of my smartphone. Or do I have to check this as well?

Hoping for your response as soon as possible.

P.S. My Spotify version is 8.5.84.875 (Please see attached file as well).

Screenshot_20201116_200046_com.android.vending.jpg

Hi @Tonskyi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's always a good idea to check whether the app has saved any files on your SD card and clear those. You should do the same with the songs downloaded for offline listening on your internal storage, as these might get corrupted some times and cause issues.

Keep us posted on your progress 🙂

AlexModerator

Hello.

I don't have SD card inserted on my phone. Just the internal one. Might as well check on the internal storage for this as I will try to do clean install again.

By the way, were there any differences if I install Spotify Lite on my phone instead of the normal Spotify app even though I'm on Premium?  Just wondering.

Hey there @Woosnam,

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah do that, and let us know how everything goes so we can continue assist you if you need us. We're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Sorry, there's no @Woosnam here.

Hey @Tonskyi,

We apologize for the confusion.

We're recommend that you perform a clean reinstall using the steps above, including Nr.4. Note that this will affect only the music downloaded over Spotify for offline listening and not other files you may have on your device. With Spotify Lite the app will use less battery and space on your device, but certain features will be unavailable such as Canvas and Podcasts. You will still however be able to enjoy our whole catalogue and your personal music collection add free with your Premium plan. You can find out more here.

Keep us posted. We’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Hello @Alex,

Tried doing a clean reinstall not twice but thrice but issue still persists. Also, I do not want another reinstall further as I do not want to complicate things or "ruin" my phone's system.

Hello @Mihail,

Tried doing a clean reinstall not twice but thrice since @Alex's suggestion but issue still persists. Also, I do not want another reinstall further as I do not want to complicate things or "ruin" my phone's system.

Hello @Tonskyi,

Thanks for your patience and going through this troubleshooting process with us. We're trying our best to help out.

You cannot damage your phone in any way by installing or uninstalling an app. 

There are several things that can be causing your Spotify app to be unable to display your Liked songs in the Artist tab when in Offline mode. We'd need to check a few possible solutions to this issue.

Can you let us know if you can play downloaded songs normally when you've switched off Wi-Fi and Mobile data, without turning Offline mode ON? The downloaded songs should play without problems when you have no connection available. 

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Thanks for your quick response.

As for your question, I can play the downloaded songs normally prior to the September/October update whether turning the Offline On or Off even switched off the Wi-Fi or mobile data.

Tried this recently as well but no selected Artists displayed.

The only workaround I have is to turn on the Wi-Fi, turn off Offline mode, go to the Artist "tab" just to refresh the information to display the selected Artists, then turn on the Offline mode and have to run it in the background. However, it can only stayed that way for a few hours though.

Hey @Tonskyi,

Thanks for getting back to us and for sharing the workaround you found.

The more such specifics we have about your case, the quicker we'll be able to find a solution. Does the workaround behave differently, when you do it with connecting to a different network, lets say  mobile data?

Also could you share which version the app shows? If you have the options to test your account on another device or a friend or family members account on your Huawei P30 Lite and see how the Artists section gets displayed offline there, that would be very useful. If we cover both scenarios we can determine if the root cause of the behavior lies with the device or your account.

Keep us posted. We’ll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

I have replied the app version to Alex's message (if you see it on this thread).

As for my workaround, I am only dependent on Wi-Fi only as I can't establish a decent mobile data connection. I would prefer Wi-Fi over mobile data.

Also, what do you mean by "test your account on another device or a friend or family members account"? I have installed the Spotify app on my Laptop/PC and I see the all the artist I have selected on the "Artist" tab. However, I have no downloaded the songs for offline listening on my Laptop/PC though.

P.S. I have uninstalled the regular Spotify app on my Huawei P30 Lite and will install the Spotify Lite instead just to see if there are any differences/changes.

UPDATE (12/04/2020):

I have installed the Spotify Lite (temporarily) on my Huawei P30 Lite but not as good as the regular Spotify app due to limited settings.

On the other hand, I have installed the Spotify app on my other smartphone and my selected artists appeared on "Artist" tab/section.

UPDATE (12/15/2020):

As for the installed Spotify app on my other smartphone, the issue appeared the same on my Huawei P30 Lite as well. Tried to do a clean reinstall but issue persists.

Suggested posts