Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play songs on Android that I imported locally from my computer

Solved!

Can't play songs on Android that I imported locally from my computer

I've read from many places that if Spotify doesn't have songs in its database that I want, as a Premium user I can upload my own files from my computer to "fill in the gaps." I tried doing this, but after I upload the songs onto my computer, I can only listen to them from my computer.

I for some reason was not able to click on the "+" sign to add these songs to My Library. Instead, I put these local files into playlists so that I could access them on my mobile device through the playlist, but when I try pressing the song title from my Galaxy S3, it says "This track is unavailable."

I really want to upload a handful of mp3 files to put on my playlists, but I don't know why I am having this problem of not being able to access my local files (from my computer) on my phone.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okey i must have misunderstood your problem. This can't be fixed in a quick way really, the best way is probably if you add your local files to i.e Dropbox or any other cloud service of your choice and then add them to your playlist again thru this map structure both on your home computer and on your work computer. Another way is to duplicate playlists and leave one intact, then you transfer all local files to a usb and take that with you to your work computer and import them to your computer there and makes a duplicate of your playlist and then you import your local files from your usb.

I know it's a bit annoying it's driving me nut aswell, but a lot of people on this community has requested a cloud service and i think Spotify are working on it.The reason you need to do this way is because spotify hasn't it owns cloud service built in today but hopefully it will get it someday, the biggest reason why it dosen't already exist is because of copyright issues vis-à-vis piracy.

I love you Spotify, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Standard tips to fix your Spotify: Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Premium user since january 2009.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

What you need to do is to connect your galaxy s3 to the same network as your computer is connected to and download your playlist on your phone. This will enable your local files onto your galaxy s3 aswell

I thought I did that before. I had my laptop and phone connected to the same Wi-Fi and thought it was synced - whenever I changed the name of a playlist or added another song, it would show up on both. I then clicked on the option "Available offline" on my phone, hoping that this would allow me to listen to all the songs (including the local file I imported) but I still wasn't able to listen to it.

Is this what you meant by downloading my playlist to my phone?

I don't know if you have more than one computer but you need to make sure that you connect the computer with the local files to the same wireless network as your phone otherwise it won't work. Open spotify and make sure that you can see your Galaxy phone on the left-hand menu under devices within Spotify. After a while it will start syncing your offline songs. If this dosen't work,  you can also check if you have enough memory to save the songs on your phone or check.

And by downloading the playlist i meant make it "Available offline"

Okay I think I might see where my problem is but idk why it isn't working. My phone and my laptop are connected to the same Wi-Fi connection, but my phone isn't seen in the left-hand menu under "Devices." I have opened the app on my phone and have Spotify opened on my computer, but I guess the computer program isn't identifying this device. I followed the directions it said, but what else can I do to try to connect these two?

Also, I have checked my phone memory and have enough memory to fit many more songs.

Hmm there are other threads about this issue.. First thing you should do is to look into if your firewall is blocking Spotify. Otherwise you might need to re-install Spotify on your computer and on your phone. I hope this will fix it for you:)

I actually figured something out. I'm not sure if it was due to my college's proxy, but I think being connected to the Wi-Fi there (although it was the same) was not enough for some complicated reason. However, this syncing worked when I was at my workplace.

However, I do have one last problem. Out of the ~30ish songs I uploaded, a few of them had the artist name not grey-ed out. These songs I was able to click the "+" to add it to My Library. For other songs (even ones with the same exact artist name), I was not able to click the "+" and the artist name WAS grey-ed out. I was only able to click the "+" for about 5 of the songs.

Thanks!

Great worked:). I'm not sure if i understand your new problem really. You can still listen to the song right? You might have to right click each loacl song and edit their details/information like artist names, album names and so on. The reason they maybe ain't greying out is because they don't match songs/artists in the Spotify library. 

Yes I can hear the song from my work laptop and my phone. However, I am only able to listen to the local songs that I've pressed the "+" when I use my own personal laptop at home. Also, I have editted the information of most of the songs, but a handful of them are not known songs or just songs that are popular on youtube and most likely not in the Spotify library. Is there any workaround for this?

Pressing the (+) will only add the song to your music. If you want to download the songs to your phone you need to make an entire playlist available offline after that you can add these songs to "My music" and they will appear there this will hopefully happen for your local files aswell the easiest way is just to mark all the songs in your playlist and drag them to "My Music - Songs" or something like that.

Sorry if I didn't mention it earlier, but my music plays fine on my phone and my work laptop now. I just want to be able to add the songs to "My Music" so then my home laptop will be able to access the local files that I imported from my work laptop.

Marked as solution

Okey i must have misunderstood your problem. This can't be fixed in a quick way really, the best way is probably if you add your local files to i.e Dropbox or any other cloud service of your choice and then add them to your playlist again thru this map structure both on your home computer and on your work computer. Another way is to duplicate playlists and leave one intact, then you transfer all local files to a usb and take that with you to your work computer and import them to your computer there and makes a duplicate of your playlist and then you import your local files from your usb.

I know it's a bit annoying it's driving me nut aswell, but a lot of people on this community has requested a cloud service and i think Spotify are working on it.The reason you need to do this way is because spotify hasn't it owns cloud service built in today but hopefully it will get it someday, the biggest reason why it dosen't already exist is because of copyright issues vis-à-vis piracy.

Alright that sounds good. I read a few articles about the dropbox solution and was hoping I didn't have to look into it, but I guess that or your other solution are the only ways.

Thanks for all your help!

Yeah there's not much more to do really, it's bothering me aswell since i have a about 800 local files and it would be much easier if spotify had its own cloud function. It would make things much more easy for me when DJ or when i travel between work/homes and so on. 

Suggested posts