Premium

Country

U.S.

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

It used to be that I can turn shuffle on and off by tapping the shuffle button at the top of a playlist or at the bottom left of the playback panel. Now it just switches between shuffle and smart shuffle. I want to know how I can switch between regular shuffle and ordered playback as I could before.

And how do you disable smart shuffle? I never and will not use it. It's just plain annoying and totally disrupts the basic function of the app.

12 Replies

Hi there @Toshiki,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

You should be able to switch between Shuffle and Smart Shuffle by tapping that Shuffle button again. You'll see the little star indicator change between the modes. 

end-to-end-protopie__1_.gif

Hope this helps. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex. Thanks for replying.

The problem is not switching between shuffle and smart shuffle, but to turn off both shuffle (ordered play). The only way I found is through the three dot menu in the playback panel. I don't see the behavior in your screenshot. On my phone those buttons only swtiches between shuffle and smart shuffle.

Even if tapping the button does work, it seems that to go back to ordered play you have to go through smart shuffle, which will "pause" the app for about 1 second (calculating all the recommendations I guess). I truely hope that we can turn this off completely.

Hey @Toshiki,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the clarification.

The option to turn it off the Shuffle modes should be available for all Premium subscribers. If you don't have the option currently available, it could be related to some damaged cache stored on your device. In this case, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This is often an overlooked step, but it's more thorough than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, could you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to watch it).

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Plan

Premium

Country

Pakistan 

Device

Realme c12 (RMX 2189)

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

I've just turned on smart shuffle in my playlist. But now it doesn't turn off. It either goes to smart shuffle or normal shuffle and does not turn off. Can you help me fix this?

Hi OscarDC,

I did the clean reinstall (clear storage, restart, etc), but still get that behavior. It went back to only having the enhance button, no smart shuffle briefy after I reinstalled the app, but in several seconds the interface went back to the new smart shuffle one.

Screen recording

Hi there @Toshiki,

Thanks for the post and the video recording.

Can you please let us know what app version you're currently running so that we can investigate this further.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

The app is the latest (I can get), version 8.7.90.544.

I only have the option of smart shuffle or no shuffle - this is so annoying. Am running ver 8.7.94. Any help is appreciated

If I want to turn on shuffle, or reshuffle, I always get stuck on smart shuffle. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark 

Device

iPhone 12

Operating System

My Question or Issue

If I want to turn on shuffle, or reshuffle, I always get stuck on smart shuffle. 

IMG_4787.png

Same is happening to me on Ulefone power armor 13 on android 11. Sometimes it will only alternate between shuffle and enhanced shuffle, with the 3-way toggle inexplicably skipping the 'no shuffle' option and only cycling between the 2. And ALWAYS it takes about 5 seconds when switching from the shuffle to enhanced shuffle. As in, when it is actually working, which is only like half of the time, i can't just quickly tap the button twice to go from shuffle -> enhanced shuffle -> no shuffle because it goes it goes like this instead: tap shuffle toggle from the shuffle position ->  it tries to switch the 'enhanced shuffle' option -> the icon transforms into a spinning circular loading bar for a long time and I can no longer tap it to cycle anything. So it completely distracts me from what I am doing because I can't just instantly turn off shuffle from muscle memory, I have to pause and wait for it to stop glitching out. I have super fast 5g LTE data, unlimited, and it will happen to me on my gigabit fiber 5ghz home wifi with a netgear nighthawk router with extremely good coverage. 

It really makes me feel bad, how could spotify push out such a pitful update on me? I just feel stupid for paying them money only for them to frustrate me like this day in and day out 😕 

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

(Samsung ZFlip 3)

Operating System

(Android version 13)

My Question or Issue

I am unable to turn off Smart Shuffle Recommendations for one of my playlists. It is only happening to one of my playlists and no matter how many times I click the shuffle button to turn it off (switch to normal shuffle) it then turns itself back on a couple songs later and I have to turn it off again and then then turns itself on again a couple songs later. Is there a setting somewhere I can permanently turn it off?

Hey @etsm0038,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

If you're a Premium subscriber, you should be able to turn off the Shuffle/Smart Shuffle feature. In this case, as this could be related to some damaged cache stored on your device, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article.

If the issue persists, would you mind checking on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can borrow one from a friend or family member to test it out.

Lastly, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts