Free/Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S1p

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

I cannot pause music on my Spotify app from the lockscreen. I've completed the actions in the previous help articles of clearing the Cache as well as re-installing the app, and went as far as Factory setting my phone altogether, but I'm still experiencing the issue. 

What I have noticed is that the issue occurs when my phone is sending music to a bluetooth device (Samsung buds, car bluetooth etc). If the music is just playing out of the internal speakers, then I can pause and play. Skipping tracks works just fine, but when I'm listening to music with my bluetooth headphones, I cannot pause any song. 

Android Version: 9

One UI Version: 1.1

Spotify Version: 8.5.18.932

15 Replies

Correcting my mistake with the device listed about, S10 is my device. 

Wanted to add, this occurred despite me factory settings my phone. 

Hey @musicjunkie24,

Thanks for  reaching out!

Please do a clean reinstall. Before that, you have to disconnect all of your devices for offline listening from your account here

Then follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings on your phone.
  2. Select "Apps".
  3. Tap "Spotify" in the app list.
  4. Tap on "Storage> Clear Data" for a clean reinstallation.
  5. Tap Uninstall.
  6. Open Google Play and install the Spotify Music app.

There is something else you could do if that does not help. Go to:

• Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
  • Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable
  • Last step - restart the phone. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thank you for replying back. Unfortunately, after following the instructions you provided, I'm still having the same issue.

Hi @musicjunkie24,

Thanks for your reply. We're looking into this.

If your car happens to have steering wheel controls, could you check if those work? That would be very helpful.  

We'll be keeping an eye on your reply 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

The output doesn't matter, since the issue occurs not only out my Bluetooth headphones, it also my Bluetooth FM transmitter. It will work if I play it out of the phones internal speaker. 

I am expereinceing the same issue. It is very frustraing to pay each month for this service and have an app that can't pause on the lock screen. 

I've tried:

- clean reinstalling the app (a few times)

- updating the app to not be optimized for the battery

- logging in/out

- using different headphones

- switching my battery settings to not restrict background data

- worked with someone over chat and confirmed the issue persisted on a test account

I have no issues with my podcast app, which seems to function in a similar fashion (has the skip forward/back and pause functionality on the lock screen) which implies to me that this is a Spotify issue.

Hey @Samoz and @musicjunkie24,

Thanks for getting back to us on this.

Could you confirm that you're still experiencing this issue?

If so, could you try enabling all permissions for Spotify in the app settings of your phone to see if that makes a difference?

If it doesn't, then could you try logging into your account on another device and seeing if you can reproduce the issue there?

Thanks! Keep us posted.

Any S10 with galaxy buds will fail to pause from phone lockscreen. It simply restarts play back unless you unlock the phone. Likely a Samsung bug. Super frustrating. 

Hi, 

Yep I've tried the perms thing too. I've worked with multiple folks over chat to try to solve the issue. They were helpful, but ultimately unable to solve the problem. 

I'm experiencing the same thing.

Galaxy S10 as well. What's the progress on this?

This now appears to be fixed with Android 10 roll out.

I no longer have this issue when using the following software versions

Spotify 8.5.33.831

Software information

One UI version

Android version

Baseband version

G973FXXU3BSKL

Kernel version

4.14.113-17369399

#1 Tue Nov 26 23:06:52 KST 2019

Build number

QP1A.190711.020.G973FXXU3BSKO

Using a galaxy so but expierenxing the same issue. 

I am able to play a song, skip it return a song. But however I am not able to pause a song from the lock screen. 

Already did the clean reinstall gave all the permissions and everything but still nothing. 

Is there a solution for this?

Justin 

I recently had this problem. I have a smasung S22 and I found that i couldn't pause or play my spotify music from my lockscreen because I had turned off notifications for spotify in my phone settings. Weird I know but the widget to pause and play my music is considered a notifications so here's what I did to solve my problem. 

1. Go to settings 

2. Tap Apps in settings 

3. Find spotify in your list of apps

4. Tap notifications and then tap show notifications switch 

5. Allow sound and vibrations (this step is only if 1-4 didn't work)

You're a hero. Thank you for replying to this old thread!!

Suggested posts