Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot sync local files.

Cannot sync local files.

I'm on a school network, have tried reintalling, have updated everything, and even turned off my firewall. My GS3 will not show up under devices no matter what I do.

When will we be able to sync over USB?

10 Replies

@mcrazy20 wrote:

I'm on a school network, have tried reintalling, have updated everything, and even turned off my firewall. My GS3 will not show up under devices no matter what I do.

When will we be able to sync over USB?

It is possible that your school network has blocked the needed ports. To mitigate this, you could try enabling your portable hotspot on your Android device and connecting your computer to it.

Open the clients on both devices, wait a minute or two and the device should show on the desktop client.

I am on AT&T and do not have a tethering plan, therefore that is not an option.

Any other solutions? I'm on a desktop, so I can't lug that to my local starbucks.

@mcrazy20 wrote:

I am on AT&T and do not have a tethering plan, therefore that is not an option.

Any other solutions? I'm on a desktop, so I can't lug that to my local starbucks.

That is what Android is for. You should be able to enable tethering even if you don't have tethering enabled. (We can here in the UK anyway).

Apart from that, no other solutions. Technically if you found out the exact port it operated on you could try an adb forward - but that probably wouldn't work 😉

Okay, I found out about FoxFi. 

So now I have that enabled, I turn on a hotspot, connect my PC.

Now the hotspot is working because I can load webpages and what not, but my device will still not show up?

@mcrazy20 wrote:

Okay, I found out about FoxFi. 

So now I have that enabled, I turn on a hotspot, connect my PC.

Now the hotspot is working because I can load webpages and what not, but my device will still not show up?

You have to make sure no ports are blocked in your firewall (which they aren't), and also ensure the Spotify app is fully open on your device.

Wait.

Well, exited and reopened spotify on the desktop, exited and relogged in on android, turned off firewall, still fully connected and nothing still.

@mcrazy20 wrote:

Well, exited and reopened spotify on the desktop, exited and relogged in on android, turned off firewall, still fully connected and nothing still.

Strange... Works for me, but I have never needed it as I don't have any local tracks to sync.

P.S Make sure you are using WiFi tethering, or if you're using another network make sure your phone and computer are connected to the same one.

Yea, it's really disappointing they don't have sync over USB. A good chunk of my songs are  local files, so they've lost my premium subscription til they add in that ability.

I'm having a similar issue with an Android device not showing up under the devices tab, never had any problems until a few days ago.

Device+computer are on the same WiFi, and the device can sync non local files over 3G just fine but the mobile device will not appear under the devices tab

my problem is i have 2 wifi routers and it only sync on one wifi not the other one and i need it to connect on the other one.

any ideas??

I have noticed that the one it connects on is a WPA2-personal while the one its not connecting to is a WPA-Personal.

Suggested posts