Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cant download music to sd card

Cant download music to sd card

Plan

Premium trial that ends on the 26th of this month 

Country

United Kingdom

Device

HTC 10 32gb 

Operating System

Android 8.0.0

My Issue

I cannot download music to my sd card as it says there is no space when I have 50+gb free with some files from other apps on there and I have been through most of the posts on this site that deal with the same or similar problem and the solutions that worked for those poeple has not worked for me and I dont know what else to do.

13 Replies

Hey @Devil_Izaya.

Thanks for reaching out on the Community about this.

Could you tell us which solutions you have tried already? This will give us a better idea of what to suggest to you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you 🙂

Hello and sorry for the late reply!
The solutions I have tried are:
Doing a fresh install of the app and setting quality to very high and giving the app full permissions (this solution was on most posts some with different steps in them)

Moving the apps data from my internal storage to my sd card 

Reformating my sd card 

I thought maybe it was my sd card was the problem so I picked up another one and nothing changed the new sd card I'm using is a1 rated to use apps on it which I thought may help as my other sd card is a standard one.

The app sees my sd card and sometimes selects the sd card even though it wont download songs to it and when I try to change it to my internal storage it says it cant I dont know if that little bit of info helps at all.

Hey @Devil_Izaya.

Thanks for getting back to us with that info.

Could you send us a screenshot of the error that you get when you try to download music to your SD card (you mentioned that you couldn't download to the SD card because there wasn't enough space, or at least so it said)?

Keep us posted 🙂

the latest update completely removed the option to store music on the sd card for me. it's not even there anymore.

Here are some screenshots 

Screenshot_20181017-104829.png
Screenshot_20181017-104855.png
Screenshot_20181017-104903.png

Hey @Devil_Izaya.

Thanks for sending those screenshots.

I know this sounds obvious, but would you mind reinstalling your device, but following these steps:

• Head here and click Remove all devices
  • Go to your Spotify settings, scroll down to Storage and then clear the cache
  • From the Android home screen, tap Settings > Apps
  • Find Spotify in your list of apps, tap it and clear the cache and data. Then select Uninstall.
  • Switch your device off and wait a couple minutes
  • Switch your device back on
  • Open the Google Play Store then search for and install the Spotify Music app

Let us know how it goes! We'll be here if you still need some help 🙂

No dice with that as it says the same exact error as in my screenshots 

Hey Spotify Team, 

I'm having a similar issue.  Namely, there's no option to save music to my SD card.  Please help.  I'm v 8.4.75.670armV7 on an Alcatel 7.  

I followed the directions listed in this community stream, but... it didn't solve the problem.

Hey @Devil_Izaya.

Thanks for letting us know.

Do you know anyone else who has a Premium account? If so, could you try logging in to your device with their account and trying to download music for offline listening to your SD card? This will determine whether there is an issue with your account.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

@brandonplantz - could you send us a screenshot showing us what you see when you open the Storage settings? 

Thanks!

I dont know if this would affect things but I dug out the details of an old account of mine when I first tired spotify a few years back and got premuim for it I get the same exact error as my screenshots when I try to download something. I dont really know anyone that uses spotify premuim so this is the best way of trying your suggestion I have for the moment. 

Hey @Devil_Izaya.

Thanks for trying that out and for being so patient.

Check out the solution provided here. Don't worry if it's another model, the same principle applies. 

If that doesn't work, we recommend you perform a factory reset of your phone. We found a guide online here which should help you do that. Make sure to back up all your data before doing it!

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Thank you for your help so far, after resetting my phone it allows me to download songs but it only seems to do anywhere from 10 to 60 songs at a time and then I have to close the app and open it again where it will download the remaining songs in the download que oaccasionally it will say the error message in my screenshots. 

Hey @Devil_Izaya.

No worries! Let's see what else we can do 🙂

Can you try removing your offline devices by going here, and then trying to redownload your music for offline listening?

Could you also try clearing the cache on your phone? You can do so by following the steps outlined here.

Out of interest, how big are the playlists you are trying to download?

Keep us posted!

Suggested posts