Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change which Name is shown in the "Spotify Connect Interface" ?

Solved!

Change which Name is shown in the "Spotify Connect Interface" ?

Hello,

When i'm using spotify and clicking on the Spotify Connect Button to change which device is currently playing the music:

In iOS on my old Iphone it used my device's name "Name's iPhone",

but with android it uses my device serial code SM-A510 F instead (Name's Samsung A5 2016) any way to change that?

hope it explained it well.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello there, unfortunately, to fix this you require ROOT permission on your phone as it seems as Spotify is looking up your phone's MODEL NUMBER instead of DEVICE name, I hope they fix this in future updates, However, there is a workaround if your device is ROOTED.

1. Get a ROOT file explorer from the play store (like Solid Explorer, ES File explorer, etc..).
  2. Navigate to /System (or Root/System) and find the file called build.prop and open it.
  3. Scroll down until you see your phone model number and edit it as you like (no spaces, you can use a dash if you want).
  4. completely reboot your device.

build.prop screenshotbuild.prop screenshot

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you harm your device or fail to do the steps correctly, plus, I'm not forcing you to ROOT your phone or lose your warranty, I'm simply explaining the workaround I came up with AND worked for me.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi. On android, go to bluetooth settings, then look for an option called "Rename device", there you can rename your device. Once you do that, restart the spotify app and spotify connect will recognize the new name. It's easy! cheers!

It didn't work 😞

Yup, sadly that didn't work for me aswell.

Hey guys. With android devices, just change the device name in the android settings and connect should show the new name. 

Does not work, sadly.

Marked as solution

Hello there, unfortunately, to fix this you require ROOT permission on your phone as it seems as Spotify is looking up your phone's MODEL NUMBER instead of DEVICE name, I hope they fix this in future updates, However, there is a workaround if your device is ROOTED.

1. Get a ROOT file explorer from the play store (like Solid Explorer, ES File explorer, etc..).
  2. Navigate to /System (or Root/System) and find the file called build.prop and open it.
  3. Scroll down until you see your phone model number and edit it as you like (no spaces, you can use a dash if you want).
  4. completely reboot your device.

build.prop screenshotbuild.prop screenshot

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you harm your device or fail to do the steps correctly, plus, I'm not forcing you to ROOT your phone or lose your warranty, I'm simply explaining the workaround I came up with AND worked for me.

Good solution, sadly i'm not good with phones and the last person who should do something like this.

Thanks for the info! I'd say this is more of a workaround than a solution. But then again, I don't see the Spotify team getting around to addressing this anytime this century.

Suggested posts