Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Choose widget is gone

Solved!

Choose widget is gone

Hello great feature issue In none and beta versions is music homescreen removed and can't add it back same in all launchers? What have you guys done, why destroy stuff instead of fix bugs😥

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

Screenshot_20190802-054840.jpg
122 Replies

I will too move away if spotify does not reintroduce the widget, which is a key component for me

@LexArma wrote:

@alexcapone wrote:

Why was my thread merged into this one? 

If I had to guess, the staff here are working in full damage control mode and are trying to make the issue of the missing widget look smaller than it is, and your topic was collateral damage.

Which is even more hilarious, since the answer they're giving those of us complaining about the widget removal is that we should just use the notification controls... and then they add into our thread more proof that the notification controls are unreliable.

Yep! Back to my old Google Play Music account. I signed up for Spotify when they announced that they were going to merge Play Music into YouTube Music (which currently doesn't suit my needs), but at least they're still working on getting the features I want into YouTube and haven't deleted Play Music yet... they're still doing better than Spotify, which removed the one mandatory feature less than a year after I join.

Probably the the stupidest improvement idea I have ever heard of. I used to start the the app from the the widget and have no shortcut on home screen...

Lets call this unimprovement and hope a revert

The widget was my primary method of interacting with Spotify. I have been rather disatisfied with the app, crashing, bluetooth controls not working after reconnecting, general usability. I am going to start testing Amazon Music, I hope it's comparable to the Audible app which behaves much better than Spotify. If the decision to remove the widget isn't reversed or I like Amazon better, I will vote with my dollars and move to another music service. At least they give a discount for a year's family subscription.

And in latest news, Spotify announce that they're retiring their music streaming feature from the next update. A vague blog post will follow with no explanation in order to not explain the reason.

Everyone should go vote on this in the Idea Exchange, too, to make sure all of us are counted.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Android-Widget/idi-p/4802473

They know we're unhappy and they suggest that they're listening. Get the rest of the internet where people are furious about this to come here, too. I know there are at least a few Reddit threads. Organizing our collective dissatisfaction is the best chance we have of getting them to fix it. 

This is Spotify's worst and most poorly conceived change in my entire time as a customer. I use the widget daily on my bike rides and the notification bar is much more difficult. Its removal was inconsiderate and regressive, and has made me reconsider my longstanding subscription.

We're removing the Widget from Android devices. You can still play, pause and skip songs from the notification center. You can read more about why we removed the widget here.

Hi, I'm removing my payments to spotify.

Have a nice day!

I've actually rediscovered Pandora - I forgot how good their musical suggestions were. I think I'm gonna migrate over to that for a while. 

From an end user perspective, this makes no sense to me to add more steps to do the same thing.  So in order for me to get into my player, I have to unlock my phone, then pull the notification bar down and then control it from there?  Normally I unlock my phone and it's just there on my home screen waiting for me.  

This was a bad design decision from your UX designers and definitely wasn't thinking like an end user.    

most stupid ever.. what are u thinking,??!!! im chock how a developer team can be this stupid... for me a riddle, i hope you are a shamed 🙂 

Guido,

The page you refer to doesn't explain WHY, it just states "we are removing widget". No explenation, no reason, no motivation, not even a hint of thought to WHY you decided to cancel widget? Please explain further because just stating "it's cancelled" is no explanation at all.

Thank you.

Guido,

The page you refer to doesn't explain WHY, it just states "we are removing widget". No explenation, no reason, no motivation, not even a hint of thought to WHY you decided to cancel widget? Please explain further because just stating "it's cancelled" is no explanation at all.

Thank you.

I just lowered my previous 5 star google play store rating to 1. Can't believe spotify app still has 4.6 stars...

Removing the widget is literally stupid.

I've just had an offer of 3months' free Amazon music. Wonder if they have a widget?

It seems like Spotify, took it back i can choose it now from widget list.. Wtaf 

Screenshot_20190903_084408_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg

But I like this third-party more.:-) 

Screenshot_20190903_084847_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg

I'll come back when you implement the widget again, until then deezer and tidal will have to make do. 

how did you get that? The third party or whatever?

Yes, music widget spotIwidget. But now Spotify has added back the widget.
But better and more bug free 😀

Suggested posts