Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Choosing SD card makes spotify download music until the card is completely full!

Solved!

Choosing SD card makes spotify download music until the card is completely full!

I'm premium and have used spotify on my phone for quite some time. I had to reinstall the app and by mistake I let it download my playlist onto my internal storage. I see that with the latest update I can now choose storage to be SD card (before I used that trick of filling up my internal storage forcing the app to download to the SD card).   

After choosing the SD card as prefered storage, the transfer began and I left it overnight because it was very slow. In the morning, out of 11GB+ I had free on that card, I was left with only ~500mb. My playlist has ~1300 songs and the previous "cache size" was around 4gb.  

So I decided to reinstall Spotify from scratch. Made sure no old folders were being left behind as well. After login in, I immediatly set the storage to sd card, it makes a quick transfer and then I procede to let it download (again, overnight). In the morning, the issue was still happening.  

Today I decided to reinstall again and let it download while I watched. Every single part of the installation and download seems to be working correctly, but somehow, in the end I always end up with ~10GB worth of spotify cache files!  

Regarding my phone, I am running CM 12.1 on a bq E5 4G. I hope you guys can help me find the root of this issue!  

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The qualities do have a massiv eimpact in the amount of space they take up.

There are various factors to consider; but as a general rule of thumb the below should provide a good idea of the data usage:

Normal Quality (96 kbps) - 0.75 MB per minute
High Quality (160 kbps) - 1.25 MB per minute
Extreme Quality (320 kbps) - 2.5 MB per minute

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Seems to be a common complaint with the BQ phones:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?include_forums=true&location=forum-bo...

Can you read the troubleshooting guide linked in my signature and in the section about getting the files to the sd card try the trick mentioned for CAT phones about manually creating the folders.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks for the quick reply but I feel like my issue is the first of its kind in this forum. Also I can't see your signature on mobile,don't know if it's an issue on my end or not.

What other bq users are reporting are issues with downloading and/or maintining files on the sd card.

That's not what my problem is. The download starts and, apparently, finishes just fine. The issue is that, somehow, 4GB turns into 10GB (which fills up the card almost entirely).

I'm wondering if it could be the sound quality (when it was working I had "normal" quality and now I'm trying to download it on "extreme"). Later today I will try to download with the lowest quality possible to make sure it's not the quality that is too heavy.
Marked as solution

The qualities do have a massiv eimpact in the amount of space they take up.

There are various factors to consider; but as a general rule of thumb the below should provide a good idea of the data usage:

Normal Quality (96 kbps) - 0.75 MB per minute
High Quality (160 kbps) - 1.25 MB per minute
Extreme Quality (320 kbps) - 2.5 MB per minute

Android Troubleshooting:

Updating the topic to say that it is now working great.  

It was in fact the size of the extreme quality files (ended up being almost 13GB).    

Thanks for the help 🙂

Suggested posts