Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromebook keeps skipping 6 songs

Chromebook keeps skipping 6 songs

Plan

Premium, for almost 10 years now

Country

USA

Device

Asus Chromebook/desktop thing

Operating System

Google Chrome OS,  Version 76.0.3809.136 (Official Build) (64-bit)

So for the last 4 months I haven't been able to listen to Spotify at work and it's defiantly taken its toll on me 😞

Anything that I try to play, It will skip through the first 5 songs.  Then the 6th will play 10 seconds and stop, but the tracking bar will continue as if it's playing until I hit pause then it jumps back to :10
The computer worked with it for years, and this is pretty much all it's used for.
I have completely wiped and rebooted the computer, updated everything I could, tried both web player & app, controlling it through other computers and my phone.
Nothing.
I can't bring myself to delete my subscription seeing as we've been together so long. Im listening to youtube ads on top of paying for Spotify.
Please help!!

21 Replies

Hi there @fixgeer,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Can you do the following:

• Make sure your browser is up-to-date. Check and update it in your browser’s Help section.
  • Try opening the web player in a private/incognito window. 
  • Some shared or public networks (e.g. schools/work/office) restrict access to certain services. You can contact those responsible for managing the network for more information.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy,
I browser is all updated, Incognito window didn't change it, and im on a private server that hasn't had any changes to it.
I had seen these recommendations on the forum here and didn't have any luck. Sorry I forgot to mention those steps I tried.
Thanks for the reply though!
-Pz

I'm having the same issue exactly. I've also updated my browsers, tried all the steps mentioned, but nothing helps.

Hi folks,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

By any chance are you using a VPN? If you are, this may be causing the issue as VPNs are not supported by Spotify.

If you're not using one, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

Let us know how this goes!

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

No VPN here.

Just made a new free account.

Skipped 3 songs, played 2 full advertisements, then did the same 10 seconds of the (now) 4th the song then stopped playing audio but continued to roll time through the song until its over then stops there.  Same as before, if I pause it will jump back to :10 
Should I stop paying for Spotify until this is fixed?   Really seems like im at that point unfortunately. 

Hi @fixgeer,

Thank you for your reply.

This is certainly an odd behavior. You mentioned this happens even when you're controlling your Chromebook from a different device, but does the same issue happen when you're playing music on another device, or is the issue exclusive to your Chromebook? 

We also suggest you check your device allows playing protected content:

• Go to chrome://settings/content, then click Additional content settings Protected content .
  • Choose "Sites can ask to play protected content".

Lastly, please make sure your Chrome browser is updated to the latest version. 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

Permission was already granted to Spotify, but I reset, and had it reask, and unfortunately im still in the same situation.

This is my Chrome OS status

"Your Chromebox is up to date
Version 76.0.3809.136 (Official Build) (64-bit)"

Just tried "Powerwashing" my chromebook.  Completely wiping my chromebox.  I had a split second of hope when I accually heard the first song I played.  But then it skipped, and continued skipping.   But it was odd that it now played almost a second of the first 5 songs as opposed to nothing at all before.
Idk...
Do I have to buy a new Chromebox to listen to Spotify?!

Hey @fixgeer,

Thanks for the replies and sharing the troubleshooting you've gone through.

Could you try updating your Chrome browser to the latest version available here

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Is there a way of just running an older version of spotify?
That really just seems like the simplest way out of this situation, otherwise im guessing im hosed because I have an older chromebox.

Hi there @fixgeer

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, have you tried updating your Chrome browser to the latest version?

On another note, we recommend always installing the latest available version of the app from our official website, as we can't guarantee that older versions of the app found on third party sites, won't contain malware or would work as expected.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Everything is as far updated as I possibly can.

As I asked before, is there a way to run an older version of Spotify?
That really seems to be the issue, I don't think my chromebox will update any further.(See previous reply about my version #)
The requirement to have the absolute latest version seems to be unnecessary.
I just want to listen to the music I pay for. 😔

Hey there @fixgeer,

Thanks for your reply.

We can confirm that it's necessary to update your browser to the latest version available, since we can no longer support older versions of Chrome. 

On another note, there isn’t an official way to install an older version of the Spotify app. As we mentioned previously, installing it from third party sites might not be working as expected. 

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

How can I get in contact with Spotify Customer Service?
When I took the Community survey it mentioned that this was an option.

My computer is fully updated within it's bounds.  I don't know how to find a third party download that would work.  I have been putting alot of effort into this with zero results.

Hey @fixgeer,

We're sorry to hear that, but as @Eni mentioned, we can't guarantee that the app or web player will work properly on older OS versions.

Regarding your question, you can reach out to our Support team through any of these channels.

If you need anything else, feel free to reach out to the Community again.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

All I had to do was log out and log back in. I hope this helps.

have you been able to find a solution? I've only recently checked out this page and i have the exact same problem as you with my chromebook. This problem has been happening to me for about a year now and I've also tried everything, and it's driving me nuts. Did you fix it??

Hey @saint14paradox,

Thanks for reaching out about this!

Sorry to hear that you're still having this issue.

Can you let us know which version of the Chrome browser you're currently running? You can check which the latest released version is here.

Note that as an alternative if you're using a Chromebook model from 2018 or later, you should be able to download the Spotify mobile app from the Google Play Store and control it with voice commands.

Keep us posted on this.

AlexModerator

Tried all these things. 

Use browser=Fail

Use incognito mode=Fail

Reinstall browser=Fail

Reinstall spotify=Fail

Powerwash chrombook=Fail

Allow literally all permission=Fail

Any other ideas?

Suggested posts