Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast audio only visible if I use my tablet

Chromecast audio only visible if I use my tablet

To play spotify using the new chromecast audio I use my Windows PC, a Nexus 7 tablet or my Moto G-2015 phone. But I only can find and control chromecast on my Windows PC or my phone if I first connect chromecast audio on my Nexus tablet. The chromecast audio is now available on all three devices in the spotify connect box.

If I do not use the tablet I cannot find and select chromecast audio on my phone or PC. It does not show up in spotify connect box. When I use my Nexus tablet with spotify AND chromecast audio, I can find and control chromecast audio from my phone or PC.

The chromecast audio shows up in the the chromecast app of my phone. On my phone I can cast the screen (and sound) of my phone using my toplevel settings cast screen.

19 Replies

So the common issue for everyone here is that you can see your Chromecast Audio from spotify on mobile, start a music session, and continue that session from a spotify desktop client. But if you stop or kill spotify on your mobile, than the desktop client is not able to connect to the chromecast audio. All in all it is impossible to listen to spotify via chromecast if there is not a mobile device in the middle to initiate the session. This is by far the dumbest limitation I have ever seen in that kind of connected device scenario. 

Reading this thread, it seems Spotify even told a user that the chromecast support is ONLY for mobile for now.  I'm amazed there was no mention from this in all of last week's communications. And it seriously handicap the value of the chromecast audio.

To be clear. I cannot use spotify on my phone with chromecast audio. Chromecast audio does not show up in the spotfy connect box. 

But when I use my Nexus tablet with spotify and chromecast audo, chromecast audio shows up in the spotify connect box of my phone.

I have the same problem with my PC. So itw works on my PC when I first use my tablet.

Your second issue, ie with the PC, is the same as everybody, ie if you start the Spotify desktop client you won't find your chromecast audio listed. You need to start your listening session from spotify on mobile/tablet, connect to the chromecast audio, and suddently you will see the connection also on your desktop client.

On your first issue with your phone, this is different. Do you have the chromecast application on your phone, and if so do you see your chromecast audio in the app on your phone ?

To be clear. I cannot use spotify on my phone with chromecast audio. Chromecast audio does not show up in the spotfy connect box. 

But when I use my Nexus tablet with spotify and chromecast audo, chromecast audio shows up in the spotify connect box of my phone.

I have the same problem with my PC. So it works on my PC when I first use my tablet.

Is my Moto G3 using Android 5.1.1 a PC? Because it behaves as a PC.

Yes I have the chromecast app, where I see the chromecast audio. And I can cast my screen (audio).

I have a Moto G 2015 and a new Chromecast and I see a similar issue.   I cannot see the Chromecast device under Spotify device unless i open Spotify on another phone.  Once it is showing on my other phone it shows up on my Moto G and I can select it and control it just fine However once I turn off the other phone I immediately lose the Chromecast device in Spotify.

Casting the phone works fine outside of Spotify and Google Music gives the cast button even when Spotify doesn't

Martin

I have three friends with LG G3. None of them can see their Chromecast Audio. This must be a issue specific for LG phones.

Is there any solution for this yet? I have the exact same problem with a Moto G 2015, Nexus 9 and Windows 10 PC. Both my brother and I have a Moto G 2015 and cannot see it, however it works on both iPhone 5 & 6 without needing to connect via the Nexus as I have to do for my Moto G... I've been in touch with Spotify and they seem as confused as me. And yes, they did tell me that Chromecast on desktops need phones to connect, so I know and accept that.

I have been in contact with Motorola. Result: The problem with my phone still exists.

They helped me to clear the cache, which dit not help. And to reset the phone, which did not help either.

@TaxiDave. Is Spotify investigating the problem?

Yes. They said they work hard to fix it, so that's something at least.

Got the exact same problem here (Moto G and Chromecast audio). Any news from Spotify yet?

Nope. They just said they have a team working on it and that they would get back to me. I hoped for the solution being included in today's Android update, but no. Unfortunately not.

I have the same issue. very frustrating to have to get my phone when i'm using my phone or PC to control spotify on my setup with chromecast.

Finally I can cast with my Moto. All my audio and TV chromecasts showed up.

Glad to hear that, but what was the solution to your problem?

I received auto updates from spotify and or motorola. 

still not fixed, please spotify let us control our chromecast via pc without an ios or android smartphone!

That can't be too difficult...

One year later => Still not fixed!?

Does anyone of the Spotify team read these postings and direct them to the programmers? I do not think so and so I will maybe not continue to post issues I encounter which could help or confirm other users' problems...

I also want to add that my LG webos TV cannot be controlled by the spotify app for ios!? Instead the Spotify App on the TV must be openend and hast to be used in an inconvenient way steered by the annoying LG App. Why isn't it possible to control it the same way Spotify for iOS can control a chromecast, just choose a playlist and send it to chromecast, it just doesnt work that way via LG webOS, again I am not sure if LG or Spotify or both have to improve this, but at the moment it prevents me from using Spotify on my LG TV.

Suggested posts