Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast stuck connecting

Chromecast stuck connecting

Often when I try and connect to a Chromecast audio or video Spotify will get stuck in the connecting phase.

Sometimes it will play music but still says it is connecting, other times it won't connect and does not play music.

Every time this happens I am also unable to disconnect from the cast device. It usually stays stuck in this way until I exit and stop casting.

I have encountered this issue with 3 different network setups (Campus WiFi Network, Personal router at campus, Other personal router at home) and 2 different setups of Chromecasts (college, home) with 2 different Android phones (2 different Nexus 5X's, same Spotify account [replacement phones]).

Android: 7.1.1
When did this issue start occuring?: About 1 year ago
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Spotify
2. Start playing song
3. Tap the cast connect button at bottom of screen
4. Select a Chromecast Audio or Video device
5. App will show something like: "connecting" in the bottom space where the cast connect button was
6. Often the app will stay in this connecting state forever
30 Replies

Exactly

I will just add to this that I have also tried Deezer now, and this works in exactly the same way as Google Play Music does. It is identical. You cannot select another casting device without disconnecting the previous cast first. When you click the cast icon, it pops up with the volume, current device details and a "stop casting" button. When this is selected you can then select another device.

This works reliably. Unless Spotify can come up with a way to cast / move between devices and have it "automatically" close the previous cast as it does it, they should follow suit and have it behave in the same way as the other apps for Chromecast / Google Home type devices. That way, it would at least function.

Hi - did spotify ever solve this issue?

No.

Nope!

I emailed them asking them to update this forum post, or at least give me a status update. I received a pretty lame ~"It's been submitted to the technical team" type response.

Along with a customer satifaction survey. Which is hiliarously ironic.

Their support technique is really disrupting the industry as we know it. Or at the very least the connection to any chromecast device I use.

I was getting this the other day when trying to cast one of my daily mixes. The android app kept showing "connecting" then switched back to "devices available". Nothing I tried helped.

Then I switched to one of my own playlists and it connected immediately. May be just coincidence.

No, they definitely haven't made any headway with this issue.

However I did raise it on some 'official' bug tracker with a shed load of information. After waiting a while, last Tuesday (19/09) they have changed it's status to 'under investigation' with no further comment. I've no idea what this means and whether they are taking it properly seriously - I sure hope so because it's quite a serious bug.

Here is the link, this can be upvoted too:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Casting-connection-issues-using-multiple-devices-gro...

Cheers

I think I have the same problem. I tried casting my daily mix and it was stuck at "connecting", but then I casted my own playlist and it worked. Somehow the problem is in the daily mix playlist?

Me too, only happens with Daily Mix

This is happening to me also.  LG G6 running Android 7.0

On the off chance any of you are running a Pi-Hole or similar network level ad-blocker, I had to manually whitelist apresolve.spotify.com for casting to work. Maybe that will help somebody. 

Suggested posts