Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Closed ongoing issue] Offline changes to playlists disappear when going back online

[Closed ongoing issue] Offline changes to playlists disappear when going back online

Hey,

An issue is still here after the 8.6.34.749 update but the board has been closed

Here's the link

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Offline-changes-to-playlists-are-wiped-out-when-I-m-...

Thanks !

53 Replies

Hi there @Gazerbin,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. 

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Another useful step to try is to use a different internet connection to see if the issue persist.

Keep us posted ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music ๐Ÿ™‚

Just tried it on another android with clean reinstall, app version
8.6.36.1070 and it doesn't work
Could you please reopen it ? Thanks !

Hey @Gazerbin,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you also let us know the make, model and exact OS version of your device?

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Huawei P20 pro, Android 10
Build number 10.0.0.188
Also, in the original thread, another user posted he still have troubles

Hi @Gazerbin

Thanks for getting back to us with this info.

We've forwarded your report to the teams in charge and will get back to you as soon as we have news on this. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Thanks !

This issue has been annoying me for months now. I have been following this and the original thread for quite some time now and I just want to say ty to Gazerbin for all his efforts.

I am now having this same problem again. As I posted on the original thread a while back, this seemed to be fixed a month or so ago when I tested it, but I just once again lost a whole airplane ride's worth of playlist updating, and now when I test it the problem is back. Very very frustrating!

Galaxy S21

Spotify Ver 8.6.40.929

Android 11

Build number RP1A.200720.012.G991U1UEU4AUF5

Hi @rcklr

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

We've passed this info on to the right team. As soon as we have any updates, we'll let you know.

Cheers!

EniModerator

โ€œMusic acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.โ€โ€“ Maria von Trapp

Hey,

Just in case some of you doubted the issue's still here (i thought for a week it was done), modifications still vanished yesterday

I guess the tricky part about this issue is that it doesn't appear every time, therefore devs might be tricked into thinking there ain't no issue

My current strat is to screenshot each offline mod in case they disappear.

Thanks for looking into it !

Hi again @Gazerbin,

Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned above, we've passed this on to a team that will have a closer look into this. Rest assured that we'll get back to you as soon as we have any updates regarding this.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else in the meantime ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music ๐Ÿ™‚

+1 here as well, I'm using Mac Desktop App version 1.1.64.561.g71bd09eb-a on a Mac with Big Sur 11.4.

The same issue of editing playlists (adding/removing/deleting/reordering songs) and the changes being reverted once I come back online.

I've logged out of all devices to see if this has any effect and the behavior is consistent.

Same issue cost me a lot of work.
If only we could at least navigate a local cache for playlists content (not the data/songs, only the lists), at least if would help to trace back the steps but that's not possible either...

Exact same issue for me. I was in the original thread and it's been annoying me for months. I'm seriously considering switching to Apple Music at this point. Please fix

Hi folks,

Thank you for sharing your reports on this thread. 

Since you're still experiencing this issue, please share with us the make, model and OS system of your device, as well as the app version you're running. 

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator

Hey,

It still doesn't work with this set-up : Huawei P20 Pro, Android 10, App version 8.6.64.1081

My non-expert technical explanation of the issue :

ยท You have databases for each user representing their content (playlists, liked albums, liked songs, currently downloaded playlists ...). Premium users have a local copy of these databases on their phone. So that, when offline, local databases are updated.

When the user reconnects to the internet :

ยท What should happen : local and server databases should merge, with the server database enhanced with the local changes that happened while offline. (git/github metaphore : client app 'push' its changes to the online repo, then server side should 'pull' the changes )

What currently happens because of the issue : the local database gets replaced by the server database without having a chance to push its modifications. (keeping the git metaphore, it's like you never commit your local changes and you pulled the server database everytime you reconnect to the internet, thus deleting each local change)

I love Spotify, and I'm kinda stuck with it because of some API projects. The updates you guys pushed were dope. But it's been 6 months and the issue is still here, do something please

Or announce the issue is now the expected behavior, so we don't wait for nothing and we can all switch to Apple Music

Hi,

Issue is still ongoing.

My setup: OPPO A9, Android 11, Spotify version 8.6.62.1029.

Please fix, this has been going on for over 6 months.

Hi folks,

thanks for the posts and the info.

Can you go into your phone's app settings and make sure that the Spotify app is granted all permissions and that Battery optimization is not enabled.

Keep us posted if this helps.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex. Thanks for the reply and tips. I am on Android. I found Spotify had no allowed permissions. Camera, Contacts, Microphone and Storage were listed as denied. The first three didn't seem relevant, but I toggled over to allow Storage. I then took Spotify off the list of battery-optimized apps. My first test in that configuration didn't work... still had same problem. I rebooted my phone and tried again and success! I had thought the problem was solved before, so still a little skeptical, but will try a few times and see if it sticks. Very promising though.

What I don't know is if the permissions or the optimization or both were the problem. When I have a few minutes I may fiddle more and see what combos work and which don't, but will also be interested to hear what others who have been struggling with this find when they try.

EDIT: Turns out this problem is definitely NOT solved, in spite of apparent success with my quick test a few weeks ago. I tested again on a five-hour flight from west coast to east coast. Confirmed that Battery Optimization was OFF and access to Storage was ON, and rebooted phone before flight. During the flight I made a few changes to some test playlists, and after connecting to the cell network upon landing I literally watched Spotify revert the changes Iโ€™d made during the flight to one of the test lists song by song. All of the changes Iโ€™d made to the test playlists during the flight were lost.

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G Model Number SM-G991U1

Spotify Version 8.6.66.1238

Android 11

Suggested posts