Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Constant "now playing" notifications on Android while streaming on PC?

Solved!

Constant "now playing" notifications on Android while streaming on PC?

So, I noticed the other day Spotify kept starting up on my phone (Galaxy S6) and showing notifications of what was playing (while I was streaming music on my PC). I cleared the notification, but every time the song changes the notification pops back up.

I have gone through the settings on my PC as well as my phone and can not find a way to stop it from updating every time the song changes.

Does anyone know a way to turn this off? I have tried Googling, but the only solution I can find is to log out on my phone - which I shouldn't have to do.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

If you go into settings on your Galaxy and enter the notifications menu, you can turn off notifications for Spotify, and it should stop doing that. Hope this helps. 🙂

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Marked as solution

If you go into settings on your Galaxy and enter the notifications menu, you can turn off notifications for Spotify, and it should stop doing that. Hope this helps. 🙂

This will work. I didn't want to disable all notifications, but until a better solution presents itself this will do. Thanks!

Has anyone found a way to disable this properly? I don't mind the notification, but the constant updating is wasting my data.

I just gave the app 1 star and uninstalled it. Good riddance... but then again, I don't pay the subscription, so easy choice for me to make.

I'd like to know this, too. It's really annoying when I'm at work and my partner is playing something on our Bose (wifi) speaker at home. Granted, I can mess with her music from the office, but I hate the constant pop-ups. Worst of all, it drags my Genius into it, so now I'm getting two push notifications every time.

I have the exact same issue. When my wife is home and starts playing music on the PC, I get a notification. That's fine. But when I clear it, it comes back as soon as the song changes. I am hoping that this is not the intended behavior, because it is really annoying. Especially, since I am using my phone to watch Netflix on my commute to and from school and getting a Spotify pop-up every 3-5 minutes is really disturbing when you are trying to watch a series.

Fix this. In the meantime I am turning notifications off completely. 

It is March 2018... Any fixes. I have a Note 8 and have even put Spotify into always sleeping, but when I fire up Spotify on another device the notification comes on my Note 8. I have to force stop Spotify. More than annoying, the notification is running the app service in the background taking system resources and battery life. I've seen hits as high as 5%. That is significant and unnecessary. Also, with Always On Display the song title playing is there too.

This has only been happening with the latest Spotify releases..Notice that when I am using the phone the notification goes away after a while. It's when I turn the screen off and back on again, there is Spotify again! I even disabled notifications on the lock screen. Still pops up..Yes, I can disable notifications altogether but when I am actively using the app on my phone I would like to have the controls there. Spotify has coded something very aggressive where the app is running like all the time! Not cool. 

I have the same problem, it's definitely not "Solved". When I play songs on my PC, the app on my phone starts up and runs in the background, displaying pop-ups every time the song changes and setting the album picture as background for my lockscreen. 

Disabling notifications is a short-time fix, but I don't want the app to eat up my battery when I don't even use it. As a workaroud I now sign out of the app when I don't use it, but dear Spotify, could we have a _real_ solution please?

(8.4.39.673, Android)

I don't know why spotify is not solving this, it really drains the battery.

One work around solution would be to freeze the aplication or another one to make a new account ...unless you are not on premium account,

This is one of my biggest complaints with the program.  Been a user for almost 8 years.  What does it take to get spotify to fix this? Turning off notifications means when I actually do use my phone, I have to keep the app open instead of using the notification tab to play next song or pause.  Extremely annoying.  

I'm not sure this is a real solution, but it appears to be better than blacket turning off all of Spofiy's notifications.

For devices running Android Oreo (or newer), go to:

• Settings (main cog at top right of notification tray)
  • Apps
  • Application List
  • Spotify
  • Notifications
  • And disable the Playback notification

This way you still get the rest of Spotify's notifications, but you deny the service the right to run these ones

Suggested posts