Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Continuous / Autoplay only? How do I play one song at a time?

Continuous / Autoplay only? How do I play one song at a time?

So I use the Spotify app on a daily basis from my phone, and a certain issue has come to m attention that seems like a major design flaw: there is no way that I can see to play one individual song.

When in the "Search" tab, locating the desired song usually brings up more than one result. For instance, I might get results for >the song I'm looking for, >the live version, >and a remix of it.

What I would want to do is play the normal, studio-recorded version of the song and have Spotify NOT move on to the next item in the list of results. From what I can tell, there are 2 navigation buttons at the bottom - a shuffle key, and a loop key.

Assuming shuffle is off, the key on the right (two small arrows circling each other like a recycling symbol) has 3 states: white, which plays all the returned results from the search and then stop; green, which plays all the returned results from the search and then loop back to the beginning; and green with a numeral 1, which loops only the one song. Is there a way to play only one song, and then stop? The only way I can find to accomplish this is to find a song that only returns one result, and play on the "white" loop mode.

While not a damning problem, it is rather annoying when you search up "behind the wall" (an a cappella song) by Tracy Chapman, only to have the last 7 seconds automatically faded into Orchid's "Eyes Behind the Wall" (a metal song).

I'm sure this question has been answered already, but I've been looking around on here for a good while now and can't seem to find any answers, so I was hoping one of you would be able to help me out or direct me to a post with some relevent information.

As a side note, I feel like it's worth mentioning that I am perfectly aware of how to turn the fade feature off, and while it helps to keep from muddling the beginnings and ends of tracks, I'd still like to know a way to just play one song and stop if at all possible.

Thank you for making your way through my wall of text, I look forward to your responses.

2 Replies

All I can think of is to add the song to a new playlist from the context menu then play it from that playlist. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

@Joe wrote:

All I can think of is to add the song to a new playlist from the context menu then play it from that playlist. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Thank you, I had seen a few other people suggesting that solution in similar threads, I was mostly trying to figure out if I was missing an obvious solution or if the Spotify app just didn't have a straightforward method of doing this.

Suggested posts