Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Data Used Even Though Songs are Saved

Data Used Even Though Songs are Saved

Hello,

I was very frustrated today to notice that even though I have download using cellular off and was only playing the songs from my library (which are all saved/downloaded to my device) Spotify used 165mb+ of data on a 40 min drive.

Two questions, 1) is this common? And 2) why is there no option to turn off streaming? Going to offline mode won't even let me play songs that are marked as downloaded and isn't flexible for everyday use or just doesn't work.

Thanks for any assistance.
2 Replies

If there is a green arrow beside the song in your playlist it means it is downloaded and can absolutely be played offline and without any use of your phone's data.

If the arrow is grey it means the song is in queue to download and will do so once you have Wi-Fi connection, as you did not enable to download with cellular data.

You could also check if this was background usage of your data or foreground on your android phone, if it was background usage you can disable spotify from using your phone's data in the android settings.

Foreground usage means that when you have the app open and use it's data features that way(eg. playing non-downloaded music) it counts as foreground usage.

Thanks for the reply, as I mentioned the songs were downloaded (green arrow present) yet Spotify used foreground data (background is disabled) while playing the songs that were listed as downloaded. I also understand that if I actively choose to download and save a song it will wait for WiFi, but as mentioned, it doesn't notify that it is streaming. and when I swap to Offline mode, nothing works at all.

In general between this issue and how poor navigation is, I find the app very frustrating. Why, unlike every other music player, are all the tracks listed in an Artist's album breakdown? I just want to scroll through albums, not hundreds of songs until I find the album I want to listen to and I definitely don't want to scroll through all my downloaded albums in alphabetical order, not sorted by artist, that's useless.

/rant

Suggested posts