Premium

Country

USA

Device

Note 9

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

My default storage location always resets to internal from SD card after every reboot. I can switch it back to SD card but it'll just change back to internal after I reboot my phone. It's gotten to the point that I don't want to download my playlists anymore because a reboot of my phone will move the default back to internal and then I have to select SD card to transfer everything over again.  I've tried uninstalling the app and then deleting the offline devices in my profile but this still persists. Not sure what has happened recently that has caused this and its very disappointing. The ongoing  notification issue was recently fixed and then another issue takes its place for me. This only happens with Spotify. I also have Apple Music and Google Play Music and they both retain the SD storage selection after reboot. It seems like others are having this issue too but no response to this from Spotify yet? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @gbrlblngr,

Thanks for sharing this here in the Community!

If the workaround didn't do the trick, rest assured that our team teams are aware and looking into it.

For more details on this, we'd recommend taking a look at the Ongoing Issue thread here

Hope this info is useful but let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

31 Replies

having the same problem too , truly annoying

They've had me run through the usual things like deleting this and reinstalling that until they finally said that they are working on a fix.  I think they said that just so I would stop complaining.  It's super annoying because I can't save my playlist music anymore to my phone because of this stupid bug.  

Forced to use Apple Music and Google Play music to save my downloaded playlists now.

Same problem .... with Galaxy S9!

Do you guys have any shortcuts of a playlist to the home screen ? I removed my shortcuts from the launcher and now the problem seems "fixed". It's still annoying that I cannot add any shortcuts for now , but that's better than nothing.

Edit: One day after this post the problem came back , still no solution to this. Please Spotify find a solution for this common problem.

I think it might be a problem with Pie, I thought it was because I was using a ROM, or maybe because my SDcard is formatted as exFAT but it was working ok on Oreo. But I see other people is facing this problem.

Sometimes, when I try to transfer the already downloaded music it appears its transfering but then it switches back to internal storage. Do you have any way that we could provide you logs or something?

Thank you for this. I wouldn’t have figured out that restarting my Note 9 was the cause of my downloaded songs disappearing. I did notice the storage issue and now use my device for storage. I downloaded my saved songs and restarted my phone multiple times with no issues. Overall, I’m not happy about the change but it works. I only have 5GB worth of saved music and it doesn’t make a dent so no big deal. Again thank you.

Yo tengo el mismo problema.... 😞

Same here with Samsung Galaxy A70 😞

Although my SD-card is encrypted, but this should be a fully transparent operation to any generic application like Spotify.

One of the workarounds is use the SD card for other purposes (like photos, offline maps, audio files or videos) hence leaving more internal space available for Spotify offline songs. This option sucks any way, especially if your device doesn't include adequate amount of internal built-in flash memory. You can try to format SD card as an internal storage or just moving some of the applications to the external storage if your device just supports it.

One of the best ways to overcome this problem is just to buy a phone at least 64-128 GB of internal storage, preferably more depending the case.

It seems like SD cards are getting less useful day by day since there is not enough support to use the external storage efficiently for most of the standard users anyway. It’s nice that Spotify have included the SD support including risk of extra work of the feature, but I’m afraid that we are “marginal” users and no one gives a #!"%@. Most of the people does use the streaming all day long without any offline caching.

I wonder where the focus is, should the working music player be one of the most important user experience and hence securing the income at least in the far future?

Seriously, Spotify does not plan on even investigating this it appears.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community, and apologies for the delayed reply!

This is something we are currently looking into, but we don't have any updates for the time being.

In the meantime, a user in the Community has posted a workaround which you might find helpful - just head over to this thread.

Let us know if that worked for you! We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Someone already suggested that solution in other thread and it works for a while. But after some days, sometimes hours the problem returns.

Ok, I tried that solution by setting my phone to Secure Startup (Note 9) where you have to enter your password before the phone starts up, and what do you know... it seems to work. After a week of rebooting, Spotify retains the SD storage and does not revert back to internal. It's not a permanent nor ideal solution though since other apps don't experience this with normal start up but it'll do for now while I hope Spotify can find what the issue is and fix it.

I have the same issue and looked everywhere to find a solution. Hasn't spotify found a fix to this yet? Deleting the spotify app from the home screen did nothing. Neither did uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing cache and so on...Will have to switch to Google Play...

The solution suggested does not work.

Marked as solution

Hey there @gbrlblngr,

Thanks for sharing this here in the Community!

If the workaround didn't do the trick, rest assured that our team teams are aware and looking into it.

For more details on this, we'd recommend taking a look at the Ongoing Issue thread here

Hope this info is useful but let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Why is this problem marked as solved when it is not solved at all?

This problem is annoying level extreme.

Writing that someone in some team is working on that doesn't calm me down.

When this will be fixed? 

Why you can't you make app to start with a 30 seconds delay after the phone is rebooted and sd card mounted? 

That's happening to me too. I own a Galaxy s8, and i'm thinking of unsubscribing Spotify.

Dear,
I recently bought a new iMac with Catalina on it. I have been using Spotify for years and the offline storage location was directed to one of my NAS drives that is connected over Ethernet. However since I have the new iMac and whenever I change the location pointing at that drive, next time I switch on my computer it is back to the standard location. What can I do to avoid this?
Thanks,
Paul

I'm planning to change app to. The problem is to rebuild all my playlists in the new service.

Suggested posts