Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloaded files won't play

Downloaded files won't play

Hi folks,

I uploaded some files to Spotify on my laptop Spotify, and I see them on my playlist there and I can play them no problem.

I tried accessing them on my phone (an LG Revolution) and it shows the playslist but not the contents. I get "the track is not available" message. The playlist also shows in my "downloaded" list, but again, nothing is there.

Am I doing something wrong?

11 Replies

You need to download the music to your mobile device if you want to listen to it offline. Take a look at this FAQ (click on the android tab) and shout if you need any help.

I did. It shows as a downloaded playlist.

Or it did. I just unistalled spotify, cleared cache, and reinstalled it. I've tried to download it and it shows nothing.

Are you trying to put your own music onto the mobile or spotify content and can you talk me through the steps you take and what happens. What shows on the desktop client and on your android when you start the process?

Yes. I uploaded some mp3 files to my Laptop Spotify. They show there, and play there flawlessly. They show as being available offline (the toggle shows green) just as my other playlists.

When I try to access them on my handset, they show as a downloaded playlist, but when I click on the playlist, I get "The track is not available". All of my other playlists (and not downloaded ones too) are available and playable.

Does that make sense?

It sounds as if those haven't synched to your phone. Downloaded playlists are shown in a section "Downloaded" at the top on your android. Does this playlist appear in that section? If it does, long press on it and select "Undownload". Then download it again.

If it doesn't appear in that section, select the playlist and there should be a big green "Download" button. Select that and it should start copying the files from your laptop.

Let me know if this works for you.

"it sounds as if those haven't synched to your phone. Downloaded playlists are shown in a section "Downloaded" at the top on your android. Does this playlist appear in that section? If it does, long press on it and select "Undownload". Then download it again."

Yes, it appeared as dowloaded playlist. There is no "undowload in the pulldown menu that appears when you long press on it. It shows

cancel download

Radio

Collaborative

Rename

Unpublish

I've hit "Cancel Download" (as it seems to be the only option regarding downloads) and yet it still appears in my downloaded list.

I'm not near my laptop right now, so I can't reload it anyway. I'll try when I get home.  Thanks for trying...

Ah so it never finished downloading. both the android and the desktop client indicate downloads in progress and, depending on the size of your playlist, it can take a while.

@msmsmak wrote:

"it sounds as if those haven't synched to your phone. Downloaded playlists are shown in a section "Downloaded" at the top on your android. Does this playlist appear in that section? If it does, long press on it and select "Undownload". Then download it again."

Yes, it appeared as dowloaded playlist. There is no "undowload in the pulldown menu that appears when you long press on it. It shows

cancel download

Radio

Collaborative

Rename

Unpublish

I've hit "Cancel Download" (as it seems to be the only option regarding downloads) and yet it still appears in my downloaded list.

I'm not near my laptop right now, so I can't reload it anyway. I'll try when I get home.  Thanks for trying...

In order sync the mp3's that you have on your laptop to your mobile device, you need to sync your mobile device while on the same wi-fi network as your laptop.  Open up spotify on your laptop, then connect your phone to the same wifi network that the laptop is on, and turn ion spotify on the phone.  You chould see your phone show up in the spotify app on the laptop.  Sync it there, and it should start downloading those mp3's.

Thanks for the info Yeaber, but I'm very aware of that.

Let me repeat the problem.

My handset says that the file have downloaded. They are listed under "Downloaded" playlists, and it shows 60 tracks. When I open this playlist on the handset, the tracks are grey'ed out, meaning that they AREN'T playable. When I attempt to play a track, I get the following message: "The Track is Not Available"

If my handset wasn't synched, they wouldn't show that way.

I have no idea what to do next. I've tried uninstalling spotify, and deleting everything on the handset and downloading again. No change. I've tried

@msmsmak wrote:

Thanks for the info Yeaber, but I'm very aware of that.

Let me repeat the problem.

My handset says that the file have downloaded. They are listed under "Downloaded" playlists, and it shows 60 tracks. When I open this playlist on the handset, the tracks are grey'ed out, meaning that they AREN'T playable. When I attempt to play a track, I get the following message: "The Track is Not Available"

If my handset wasn't synched, they wouldn't show that way.

I have no idea what to do next. I've tried uninstalling spotify, and deleting everything on the handset and downloading again. No change. I've tried

What you're describing is exactly what looks like when you download a playlist with mp3's that are on your computer but not available through spotify, and the phone hasn't synced up with spotify on the same wifi network as the computer.  It will say that the playlists and files are downloaded and will show up in the downloaded section, and will show all of the tracks on the phone, but those specific tracks will be grayed out and will say that they're not available.

If you've already gone into the spotify app while the phone is on the same wifi network as the laptop with those mp3's on it (the way I described above), what happens now when you hit "Sync this device" in the app fropm that laptop (when both the phone and the laptop are on the same wifi network)?  Can you download (and un-download) other playlists to and from the phone using only the spotify app on the laptop?  If not, then that would explain why you're having trouble, that means you're phone isn't synced properly, and doesn't really have anything to do with instaliation issues.  Good luck.

They haven't downloaded. The option to cancel download confirms that. How many tracks are in this playlist?

Suggested posts