Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloaded songs redownload

Downloaded songs redownload

Plan

Premium

Country

New Zealand 

Device

(iPhone 7

Operating System

(iOS 11.4)

Most of my downloaded songs recently were removed and then redownloaded.  This is really annoying and shouldn't happen. I have seen posts back to 2013 saying they have the same problem. I checked the reasons why this may occur in the help section but still can't see why it is happening to my files. I don't have any other devices that have gone off line or downloaded. Does this happen every time the app updates? I would like to recommend Spotify but can't while this occurs. 

10 Replies

Hey @Kanejo.

Sorry to hear that your downloaded playlists were undownloaded.

Check out the steps under “Downloads unexpectedly removed” on this support page. They should help with this.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Thanks, I have already looked at this section, but none of it applies.

Any other thoughts?

I got the same problem, why the **bleep** this keeps happening? This is happening in my cellphone and computer, no matter how many times I download the music it keeps downloading again, please solve this as soon as possible

This is happen to me too, it keeps me downloading the songs that has been fownloaded before, and that made my memories went to waste

It’s 2021 and I am still having this same problem in iOS!

If I connect to the wifi my downloaded playlists start to redownload everything!!! If I don’t let it redownload I cannot listen to the songs.

please fix it Spotify!

Hey @fabster,

Thanks for the post.

We'd recommend running a clean reinstall of the app, following this Guide. This will clear all app data, including your downloads, so you'll have to re-synch them again.

Also, make sure that no cache clearing/ performance optimization app is enabled for Spotify on your phone. This could be clearing the Spotify data automatically, which in turn is deleting the downloads.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex,

thank you for getting back to me.

I have done this already a couple of times following previous contact I had with your customer support. I just did it again on the day I posted this message…

It did not help!
Nothing has changed and the app keeps on unloading all my offline playlists and redownloading every single time I connect to a wifi.

I have had this problem for at least 5 years, and see post of people complaining about it since 2013.

I guess it is about time for Spotify to really take a look at this issue.

Please, let me know when you guys have a solution to this issue.

Sincerely,

Fabster

Hey @fabster,

Thanks for the reply.

This issue has been reviewed by the right teams at Spotify and it is connected to how particular phones and their performance optimization apps handle cache. 

As we've said before, make sure that there are no apps that are set to automatically clear cache from Spotify.

Another thing you can check is your SD card, if using one. Make sure that's formatted as External Storage, otherwise Spotify won't differentiate between the card and the phone's internal storage, which might also cause this re-downloading to occur. As some devices automatically unmount SD cards in certain conditions, like the activation of Power Saving mode.

Apart from that, the app will try to re-download and synchronize any playlists to which changes were made. For example, if you've added a song to one of your playlists while on Mobile data, Spotify will download the whole playlist again once it connects to WiFi. This is to assure that you always have the latest version of a playlist available.

Hope this info helps.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,
I have an iPhone 12, it does not have SD cards, and I do not have apps to
clear cache or block or anything.
I am using one of the Spotify "test" account, I am testing with 2 of the
spotify standard playlist and it keeps on redowloading the playlists every
time I connect to a wifi.
I have been a client for years and would like to keep on using your
services but it has been difficult.
Please let me know how we can solve this problem.

Thank you,

fabster

Hey @fabster,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Can you clarify if you're using a test account provided to your by customer support, or a standard free account?

Also, check in your phone's app settings if Spotify is granted permission to use your phone's storage.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts