USA

Device

Android

Operating System

Android 10

Spotify 8.6.2.774
Android: 10

My Question or Issue

I just noticed this because we've burnt thru 20+ gig of data this month.  (Normal is 2-3).

Spotify is downloading all my offline playlists over cellular.   The option to download over cellular is set to no.    I have uninstalled and re-installed the app and cleared data/cache.

5 Replies

Hey @scoob8000,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

Could you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? This one is more thorough than the usual one.

In case you're using an SD card, you can try removing it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Sometimes the SD card can lead to issues with the cache. 

It's also a good idea to try with another connection to check if anything changes.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't have an SD card, but I've tried that method now too.

I thought it was fixed.  I was letting it download over wifi then I turned my wifi off and it stopped downloading like it should.    But later that same day I was out and about, opened spotify and it started downloading.

Currently my only solution has been to set Spotify to offline mode and only listen to already downloaded stuff.

Hey @scoob8000,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

In this case we'd suggest you head here and contact our support team. The folks there can investigate this further.

We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Update after several chats:

Several un-installs and re-installs later they had me log in with a test account.   Everything seemed to work fine.

Log back into my account and they find something wrong "with my cache and settings in backstage" whatever that is.   Log out, uninstall, reinstall, and seems to be working okay.    The test will be in a couple days what my data usage looks like.

I had this same problem. Went through the same steps as you in March 2021. Support did refund me one month fees.

Fast forward to today and have same issue. This time a clean reinstall (clear cache, uninstall, reinstall) solved it alone. This time around support was unable to refund me.

If this happens again, I will have to look for a different provider.

Suggested posts