Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading podcasts audio only?

Solved!

Downloading podcasts audio only?

Plan

Premium

Device

Xiaomi Redmi 5A

Operating System

Android 8.1

My Question or Issue

Hi!

Some podcasts have
 both audio and video, like the Joe Rogan podcast for example. I tried to download a podcast on the Android app for the first time that had video, and a 200 minute podcast took like 10-15 minutes to download (with a very good wifi connection) and I assume the file is huge as well.
Is there a way to download just the audio without the video? I imagine that would take up much less space and download much quicker.

Thanks,
Boni

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There is an option in the settings to download audio only from video podcasts. It's the second option - below data saver.

It is much easier and of course much quicker

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Come on! I have been a premium user for years now, and I love the main focus of your app: SOUND! Why would I sit and look at a podcast for 3+ hours? It's nice to have the OPPERTUNITY for video... Not being forced to download/stream massive amounts of data, plus draining my battery in no time. You should be ashamed of yourself, putting this to a vote. Go fix it, no questions asked! It's called service and taking responsibility. It's a pity really, I was really looking forward to JRE coming to Spotify, but you kind of ruined that experience, and damaged my view on your app in the process! This is not something for a vote. This is a minor error, that should have been corrected.
Marked as solution

There is an option in the settings to download audio only from video podcasts. It's the second option - below data saver.

It is much easier and of course much quicker

How did I miss that? Thank you! 

thanks man !

This option is not available for me. I am running app version 8.5.86.739 on an iPhone 11 Pro. There is nothing on the page other than the Data Saver switch. I have tried reinstalling the app and rebooting and the option is still missing. Please help.

7A872166-6133-4CE7-8B15-D6E5E7D262B8.png
E931C0B0-F8A4-4E66-9EC4-E4486ACA9FE8.png

Hey there @Joemama1105

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome!

We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful for clearing any corrupted files that might be causing issues. It will also get you the latest app version. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if you can replicate the issue when you log into your account using a different device?

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I tried your suggestion twice and the option is still missing. Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi @Joemama1105,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Would you mind attaching a screenshot that shows all the options available in the app's Settings so we can take a better look? 

Also, did you notice anything new while being logged into your account from a different device? If possible, you can also ask a friend or a family member to log into their account using your phone. Let us know if they're able to replicate this.

Keep us posted. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app per the instructions in this thread. I have the audio only option turned on, however the video seems to stream. If I turn off WiFi and cellular, the audio plays and a still image is shown on the player.  However when WiFi and cellular are enabled, the video streams. I find this unacceptable as it is using my data to stream video when all I’m interested in is audio.  I have an iPhone XR with iOS 14.3. Please advise.

7291CCF1-5BB0-425C-B17E-6ADBB82508EA.png
E7FE9203-DA1A-49F4-B31C-3538C1FBE32D.png

Hi @dacaprice

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Just to make sure, did you enable the Offline mode in the app settings before listening your downloaded content?

If you did, could you log in with a friend's account in your device and check if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for the response. I missed that step. It works as expected when
offline mode is enabled. However, this a workaround and not a solution.
I’m hopeful this will be resolved in the near future. This is extremely
frustrating. I’m not sure what the demand is for a video podcast, but for
what it’s worth, I only ever listen to the audio. Thanks!

I too am unable to get audio only. I have done the clean reinstall like mentioned above and it is the same. I am running version 8.5.86.739 on an Ipod 6th Gen. I do not have any option under Data Saver, except data saver. I think I have provided pictures. 

<snip - Moderator edit>

20210105_122011.jpg

Hey there @Sam_Z,

Thanks for your comment on this thread and welcome to the Community!

The download audio-only option for podcasts isn't fully rolled out to all accounts/devices yet, that's why it isn't shown on your iPod. We're constantly running tests in order to provide you with the best overall experience, so it's possible that you might see something on the app other users don't or vice-versa, or get a brand-new feature for only a temporary period. You can learn more about Spotify tests here.

In the meantime, we recommend keeping your app up to date, as software improvements come with every update.

We hope this sheds some light on this. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

So there will be no way to just listen to the podcasts, without video? I
know the obvious answer is to not look at the screen, but that doesn't save
my battery drainage at all.

So there will be no way to just listen to the podcasts, without video? I know the obvious answer is to not look at the screen, but that doesn't save my battery drainage at all.

Hey @Sam_Z

Thanks for your quick reply!

We understand where you're coming from. 

If you block your device's screen it shouldn't have the same battery usage than when you're watching the video on it. We really value your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, and we'll be sure to pass this on to the right folks. 

If you have any questions just let us know.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have a free account just to listen to JRE podcast. I have the "audio only" switch on. I download the episode over wi-fi. But when I listen to the episode the video streams. That eats up my data and battery. Under "Playback" in settings I have no options. The word "Playback" is there but when I tap on it it does nothing. I can't use the app until this is fixed since I have a limited data plan. It has been suggested to turn the screen off, which I do, but it still must be streaming because it eats data.

There is no option to go offline. So despite having downloaded the audio for podcasts, out still stands the video if there is a data connection available. Even more annoyingly, in areas with patchy reception, playback actually stops when the connection fails. This is extremely annoying. 

I have removed and reinstalled the latest version of the app. I'm confused why it seems that this offline option had been removed. 

Cheers for the help. 

Screenshot_20210119-172054_Spotify.jpg

Hey there @Gundawindy,

Thank you for your post and screenshot.

Can you see if you find the offline option in Settings > Playback? If you don't - would you mind sending us a screenshot so we can have a closer look directly from your end?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts