Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Everytime my premium ends, spotify deletes ALL offline tracks

Everytime my premium ends, spotify deletes ALL offline tracks

I have a Samsung S2, and recently started using premium instead of unlimited. My CC is always blocked from internet purchase (if my card gets stolen etc.) which means that I manually renew my spotify sub.

The problem is that everytime my period ends (why would I renew it before my time ends?) my phone wipes every track I've downloaded, forcing me to redownload them all the time. I'm perfectly fine with not being allowed to listen to my offline lists when my subscription is in between periods (this would make sense), as long as they're still there and I don't have to keep downloading them when I renew my premium.

It can't seriously be meant to be like this? I know that spotify and android haven't really liked eachother in the past but come one.

5 Replies

That's the way it works if you have no valid payment method recorded. How do you pay when you renew?

I've paid with my credit card for as long as I've had spotify, and its details are even saved when I manually buy a new subscription.

Isn't a CC valid enough for spotify to simply not re-delete everythinge over and over? I'm well aware of that I can't and shouldn't be able to listen to spotify from my phone when I don't have a premium sub running.

If Spotify can't automatically charge your account when renewal is due, then you just need to make sure you renew manually a day or two earlier. The renewal period stacks on top of any remaining days so there's no real reason to let it run out.

"The renewal period stacks on top of any remaining days so there's no real reason to let it run out."

I believe this is where the problem lies. The argument is from a logical standpoint backwards.There is on the other hand no good reason to delete all tracks everytime a subscription runs out.

It may be the only viable solution at the moment to stop people from accessing tracks without a subscription (at least I assume this is the reason, otherwise this can't be anything but a bug/unwanted feature/drawback for everyone) but a new way to solve the downloaded tracks is obviously needed.

Joe is correct here, it is and always has been Spotify's policy to immediately remove offline content if your premium subscription ends, I am guessing in line with the licensing agreements they have with the content providers. 

Another reason tracks are immediately removed when a device is deauthorized (like when your subscription ends) is if it was possible to not have to spend time redownloading tracks, the 3 device limit Spotify have to enforce as part of their agreements wouldn't be enforcable, since you could technically have an unlimited number of devices and just very very quickly "resync" whichever ones you wanted to use without redownloading. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts