Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

General questions

Solved!

General questions

I'm intrigued, but there are some 'must have' features that I need before I'll pay for premium.  I looked around but can't seem to get straight answers....

1 - I want to use spotify to play the music already on my phone (sd card).  Is that possible?

2 - I don't want to 'import' my itunes playlists to spotify (Mac).  The music is already on my computer - I don't want it in 2 places!

3 - I want to download music to my phone so I don't need to be online to listen to it.  Otherwise what's the point?  I don't have unlimited data, and a good connection isn't always available.  Can I download to SD card?  If not, again, what's the point?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

1. Unfortunately, that is not possible, the Spotify application can not play media files which are already on your phone. 

2. You can stop Spotify from importing your iTunes content if you like by unticking the iTunes option under "Local Files" in the preferences menu of the Mac client. 

3. You can do that, just mark a playlist as "Available Offline" and the Spotify app will download the tracks inside of the app so you can listen to them when you aren't connected to the internet. The Spotify app will store those offline tracks in whichever the most efficient storage location is, meaning if your external SD card has more space than internal memory it will store it there. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

1. Unfortunately, that is not possible, the Spotify application can not play media files which are already on your phone. 

2. You can stop Spotify from importing your iTunes content if you like by unticking the iTunes option under "Local Files" in the preferences menu of the Mac client. 

3. You can do that, just mark a playlist as "Available Offline" and the Spotify app will download the tracks inside of the app so you can listen to them when you aren't connected to the internet. The Spotify app will store those offline tracks in whichever the most efficient storage location is, meaning if your external SD card has more space than internal memory it will store it there. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks so much for the quick reply!  It appears, then, that Spotify isn't going to be the right solution for me.  I buy a lot of music throughout the year and thought it would be more cost-effective to use Spotify.  The problem is, I don't want to have to 'remember' whether the music I want to listen to is in Spotify or elsewhere on my device.  I'm a fan of KISS and just want simplicity!

Suggested posts