Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

Solved!

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

I've been paying for Spotify premium for about a year.  Today, I cancelled my subscription.  The in-ability to transmit wirelessly to my audio/video system is the main reason for canceling.  Chromecast is a HUGE leap forward in Android technology.  Airplay for Apple is awesome and now Android can have this ability via Chromecast.  Yet Spotify won't even acknowledge postings on Chromecast.  

I just got done testing 3 different Miracast devices.  Just because I really want wireless access to my audio/video system.  Unfortunately, Miracast has many issues.  Google Music via Chromecast is light years ahead of Miracast.  I hate to learn a whole new platform with Google Music, but the convenience outweighs the inconvenience of a new platform.

Another issue is not being able to delete Playlists.  Really...this is just an elementary feature.  I hate having my Android's Spotify app so cluttered up with useless playlists that I created to test or just needed for temporary purposes.  

Just wanted to give some feedback to my cancellation.  Google is now getting my monthly fees.  

112 Replies

Complaining about how a service works on one system but not another is pointless. Its on a different system for a reason. As consumers, we will never know the full reasons why.
Pick the service and system that provides what you want.
I will be using any CAST system that supports Chromecast.

Marked as solution

Spotify has finally announced ChromeCase support (ChromeCast v1, ChromeCast v2 and ChromeCastAudio)

https://www.spotify.com/chromecast/

https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/09/29/spotify-and-chromecast-now-play-together/

That's finally a good news. It would be interesting to know what has changed "politically" to now embrace Google devices. Some people said that was Google to prevent Spotify from adding Chromecast support. I personally believe that it was Spotify management to decide that the pros were more than the cons now that Apple have it's one music streaming service. We will probably never know...

It works with Chromecast v1 now.
Marked as solution

It doesnt work with ios

It works on premium for IOS, but is sketchy and doesn't work on free at all. Considering this is just a throttle/punishment for free users, rather than an incentive for upgrading, I'll give it a miss. Actually the spotify/chromecast issue of late has focused me on services that "just work", rather than revenue increases. I have google play all access and one of the kids has spotify, and we had to see what is the best subscription for getting the whole family on board (2+2), so we figured, share the google play account, cancel the spotify and use rdio => that way we can consider upgrading the google account to family, but everyone can try this out for a year. Unlike spotify, where you can only cast from chrome tabs. Sigh. Even the youngest kids (8/13) can upload their own files to their own accounts and stream them to chromecast audio devices all over the house.

I don't understand how you would consider not being able to use Chromecast on free a punnishment... It's a premium feature. If you're unhappy that the competition might provide it for free, then that's your opinion, which is fine. We all have the right to choose which service works best for us.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by only being able to cast Spotify from a Chrome Tab? I can use Spotify Connect to cast directly from the App on Android, iOS, and my PC.

Dear Spotify ..

I have been paying for Premium for over a year ...  I am also a huge advocate for Spotify with Facebook - HiFi Audio Streaming ...  and the many other streaming media sites...  but that might need to stop

I have several audio systems and use Google Chromecast Audio to get wireless play from any device to any of the 5 systems in my house or to group them together for whole house sound.

The inability to use the power of a desktop or laptop computer and have it send to wireless devices is complete and total BS... and this is some poor management planning.

The current solution – use my desktop to make a playlist – then use a dedicated tablet to send that playlist to Chromecast Audio ...

Plugging 2000 watts of audio directly into a headphone jack is not a smart idea... you ever hear “You’ve Got Mail” at 118db right in the middle of your favorite concert.

Slacker Premium requires no special app/program/interphase - it simply works... I can send playlist from ANY device (computer {Apple or PC}, Tablet or Phone) to ANY Wi-Fi receiving device...  this is a MUST...

I can’t imagine you don’t have a simple desktop web player or streaming channel... the ridiculously overly complex app you seem married too will be the undoing being taking seriously as a fun and useful streaming source...  you have turned yourselves into Photoshop – a bloated trying to do everything super program and pissing off users by making it too complex to use.

Going to do the same, have 3 in my family have problem and no help to get anywhere, is typical for big compannies, they want your money but cant have a proper support, low.

I got problems on my  and all my falilys app for phone, cant fint chromecast, stands its nort exists, the thing is it works on every ather app and worked fine the evening before and still works if I log in to my laptop connecting to CC, then its suddenly on my phone again, and cant ask anywhere so thats low.

Same. No Chromecast support from today. Only Chromecast Audio. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

The issue that you seem to be experiencing is still Under investigation from our tech teams. We'd suggest you give these steps a go. You can also add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So strange, when I use spotify on my laptop it works in my phone to, and Its just Sptify no other apps that not find chromecast, so it for sure a spotify phoneapp problem.

Suggested posts