Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Assistant opens app, but will not play song. Incredibly frustrating.

Google Assistant opens app, but will not play song. Incredibly frustrating.

Pixel XL 2, it is impossible to get Google assistant to play a song. It will open the app but never starts to play music. I have already spoken to google support, unistalled and reinstalled both the Google app and Spotify, cleared caches, restarted numerous times. Speaking through a bluetooth headset or just to the phone, doesn't work. Many other complaints about the same issue, can we please get a fix?? Most annoying bug EVER!!!!

36 Replies

Just got a Pixel 2 updated to Android 8.1 and it is having that problem. "Play some rock on Spotify" (or its equivalient): it just makes a  suggestion and doesn't open or play the song/artist. Tapping "Open Spotify" opens the app all right, but doesn't change the current music selection or plays it.

Every request I make I fails. It says back to me "I'm afraid something went wrong, try opening the Spotify app to continue". It's become useless.

JUST switched from Apple to Android for the same reason. PLEASE fix .

I had the same issue, so I unlinked my account in the assitant settings, then went to https://www.spotify.com/uk/account/apps/ and deleted the Google link, rebooted my phone, setup the account linkage again and it appears to be working again. Using a Pixel XL 2. 

I have the same issue. this is frustrating as **bleep**. 

This worked and was the reason I switched from ios.  

Same phone, same problem . I switched to Spotify because I was having this problem with Google Play Music .It seems to be an assistant problem not specific to Spotify

I experienced the same issue with google's own play music, so it seems a ga problem

Same here, or it plays a playlist with a similar name (but isn't the one in my library). This worked for a little while towards the end of last year but has now been broken for a few months. I also tried removing and reconnecting my (premium) account. So annoying.

If I clear the cache after listening it helps 

Since we can tell this is a GA issue, I checked the Google forums and got this:

"Hi all, 

Thanks for your many reports on this issue, and apologies for the lack of progress updates. We've been actively investigating since this was first reported, and debugging turned out to be more complex than originally anticipated. We do hope to have a fix in place shortly though and will let you know as soon as there is more news to share."  -Andy B.

I'm having this problem intermittently. I just got a xiaomi mi a1, and out of the box installed Spotify and updated apps. GA wouldn't open Spotify after searching for the song but would pull up a button to hit that would always pull up the right song. Updated my phone to Android 8.1, then had a bunch of issues with Google Assistant. Uninstalled updates for the Google app, set it up again,then reinstalled updates. Also downloaded the Google assistant app from the store instead of just what was on my phone. Now, GA will pull up the song, but if Spotify had already been played recently it'll just open the app. Force stopping Spotify stops this but I have to do that Everytime I want to use ga to pull up a song, defeating the purpose

I was having same issue in my car. I installed an android app called Bluetooth app Launcher  This automatically opens Spotify when connected to BT on your chosen device. I then found Google assistant would work and play requested music via voice only again. It's also best to uncheck "show local devices only" within Spotify settings.

I realize this is an old Post but I just got my pixel buds and had the same problem. I fixed it by downloading the Google home app and linking Spotify in there hope this helps .

It's inconsistent for me. GA sometimes says that it's playing a song/album/playlist, but the song doesn't actually start until I open the Spotify app and manually start it. After doing this once it usually works correctly for the rest of the day.

Using a Pixel 2.

Same here on galaxy s9+, premium, spotify linked.

I found out WHEN the issue occur and when not.

If spotify is open in background, google assistant will not play (just show "open spotify" in text = i

Useless, dangerous when driving and controlling via handsfree...someone will habe an accident and sue one or the other im sure).

If spotify is NOT open (not open or needs a reload= cleared from RAM) ot WILL play whatever i ask...seemingly it then works until you shift focus from Spotify. Whilw still in focus you can tell assistant to cahnge songs.

Well a bug on either one or both ends.

If not fixed i wiml end my spotify prmium for sure.

Installing a free app called Bluetooth app Launcher from the Playstore kind of fixed it for me. I can use hands free in my car via Google Assistant to open an album or song on Spotify though sometimes it does take two tries to get it started, and track titles read out don't change on the dash. You must enable Spotify as your default music player in Google Assistant and Home. 

Suggested posts