Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Cast as nearby device..... everywhere

Google Cast as nearby device..... everywhere

A friend of mine has a very strange problem. In her connect to a device near you, there is always a Google Cast showing up. First we thought that it was a nearby device but while I was there, it didn't show up in my spotify. Also, she does not own a chromecast or any other device of some sort herself. She has it on  3 different phones at this moment: Huawei p20 lite, and two Samsung devices. One of wich is her daughter's wich initially did not show the problem. Now the strage part is that the device is also there when she is not home. Because of her work, she travels quite a bit and even while on her way and when she is on mobile data, it is there. She even tried connecting to that device. it asks for a pin code and here is another oddity: sometimes certain codes work (the screen then hangs on connecting to device) and sometimes it asks for another code. One thing I need to add is that she is targetted by a cyber stalker. Is there a logical eplination for this or are we seeing proof that someone is indeed listening/reading in on her phone? 

Sorry for the dutch in the screenshot.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-05 at 10.28.00.jpg
7 Replies

I am having the exact same problem! I thought someone had logged into my account so I signed out of all devices and then changed my password but as soon as I went back into Spotify on my S10 it was still there for nearby devices. So I then logged into admin for my network and the only devices that were connected was my phone and laptop at that time. Does anyone know why chromecast keeps on registaring itself as a nearby device even though it NOT on the same network and I'm not signed into that device.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this!

Could you try the following steps in order:

• perform a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps
  • sing out everywhere here
  • remove all offline devices here
  • reset your password by going here?

Let us know how it goes! We'll be here in case you need further help with this.

I have same issue, and that solution did not work.

I've had this mystery Google Cast in my devices for at least 5 years. Recently installed Spotify on a brand new phone and it's there, too.

I had the same problem 1 year ago, different days I checked and found a google cast linked to my account. Now it happened again, I'm at my house and suddenly it appears an "available" device, a google cast. This looks like a joke, and the worst is that the Spotify technical service always says the same (Have you ever tried resetting your password and bla bla bla? It's so difficult to explain why the google cast can get inside a Spotify account in this easy way? it's maybe a problem that Spotify doesn't want to admit? This is something that is bothering me a lot. who the **bleep** is that person always with a ****cking google cast trying to get inside my Spotify? In different countries, seriously, I need a **bleep**ing clear explanation!

Yep I used to have this problem back in like 2015. Don't remember seeing it for the past several years but as of a week or two ago there it is again, Google Chromecast.

I've never been able to successfully connect to the mystery device, though, so it seems like some kind of phantom or cosmetic issue.

Solutions to this please?
Running in macOS and it's ridiculous.

image.png

Suggested posts