Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Now doesn't play Spotify music

Solved!

Google Now doesn't play Spotify music

Hey, so this is the problem. I know I'm suppose do be able to say "okay Google, play [song] by [artist] on Spotify" and it would automatically start playing the song. However, in these past few weeks, I am unable to do so.
I have Samsung galaxy s7, unrooted, and when I say for example "okay Google, play 3005 by Childish Gambino on spotify", Google would say something like "playing music" then proceed to open Spotify. However, it ends there. It doesn't play the song, it doesn't search for the name, nothing. Please help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It's working again for me! I think they fixed it!

View solution in original post

65 Replies

Where does it open up to and what version of Android and Spotify do you have?

Spotify 5.9.0.774
Android 6.0.1
Both are the newest versions. It opens to Spotify but doesn't do anything

I use iOS, so I'm not sure, but can anyone you know get this to work?

Same problem here! I'm using a Sony Z3, Spotify version 5.9.0.774, Android version 6.0.1 and am a premium Spotify user.

Yeah, it's likely a coding issue then. The only people that could fix this are either the coders at Google or Spotify. Nothing you can do about it but ask both companies to fix the issue.

OP is spot on. Im having the exact issue using my new Note 7 and the latest version of spotify. When will this be fixed?

I'm having the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy Note 7. Google now opens Spotify, but no song is played and even is selected to play. Could anyone solve this issue? Thanks. Igor.

I have the same problem on my Z5, eveything is up to date, premium user. Says 'ok' and shows all the correct details in Google Now then opens spotify and does nothing.

What can I do to fix this.

Yeah it's gotta be an issue that has to do with Spotify's settings upon
startup.

Same issue. S7 edge.

I was just told my Spotify support that they recognize the issue and plan to do nothing about it.
Screenshot_20160921-094513.png

That seems to be the issue. There's likely compatibility issues, and since nothing is being done, that's it.

I don't think you guys should give up on this. It looks like a bug affecting all android devices and not a "suggestion" concerning samsungs.

The best place to take this forward is in the ongoing issues section.

+1 I'm having this problem on a Nexus 6P.  I don't think this is Samsung specific.

I'm pretty sure it used to work fine on my S7 before. This stopped working quite recently and was possibly introduced in one of recent updates. Has anyone tried to roll back a few versions?

Having the same issue. Being in the Spotify app doesn't seem to help either

I'm on my s7 edge

Yeah, and for me this worked as of last week. I was attempting to show it off to someone tonight and it won't do anything but open the Spotify app, where previously it would play/search for music. Nexus 5X on 7.0 here.

Just to play devil's' advocate - Google have updated their Search app a lot recently to add additional features & remove the 'Now' branding. I wonder if they have done something stopping the ability to search & play a song.

I may be wrong - and it may be something Spotify have done; I just want to throw an alternate suggestion into the mix.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts