Google Pixel 2 / Pixel 3 / OnePlus 6T "Show nearby songs" doesn't find the song on Spotify

Google Pixel 2 / Pixel 3 / OnePlus 6T "Show nearby songs" doesn't find the song on Spotify

lNomNoml

Plan

Premium

Country

New Zealand, South Africa

Device

Google Pixel 2 XL

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

The last few songs I have attempted to find using the "nearby songs" feature have not picked up the song on Spotify, but browsing for the song manually on Spotify finds the song.

This is the feature where the mobile displays the song playing nearby and you can then tap on the Google Assistant popup to find the song on Spotify, it did not find it, coming up with a message from Spotify informing me that the song is not available, however searching for the song finds it.

One theory is that the information that the "nearby songs" feature displays is slightly different to the naming/information that Spotify uses, but then in this case Spotify app should be able to compensate for this. Another theory is that the connect between the Google Assistant and Spotify doesn't hand over the information correctly. Or another theory is that this is anti competitive behaviour on Google's part.

The latest song that I have had this happen is the following: The Safety Dance - Men without Hats.

I'm not sure if this is the same case for Pixel 3 and OnePlus 6T owners or not. I know it's not much for a bug but it just doesn't look good to the average user if they can't find the songs easily and with think that Google Music is better because of this.

SUGGESTED POSTS