Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google assistant won't play songs on Spotify

Google assistant won't play songs on Spotify

Google assistant won't play songs on spotify, it just says "playing on spotify", then it opens spotify and nothing happens. Telling google to play an album or artist works instantly.
Edit: Samsung galaxy A5 2017, android 7.0, Spotify 8.4.37.587 armV7

47 Replies

Thank you Lovetech ! Linking the spotify account to google home on my Galaxy S8 finally solved this issue for me.

Thanks.  Works now after doing this.

This problem seems to be systemic with Spotify. For the past month, I haven't been able to get Spotify to cast to ANY Google devices: home, mini, and Chromecast. I can connect to the device but only get silence. Next step will be to migrate my playlists over to Google Play Music as I tested this and it works just fine. Other casting apps like Tune In and Rocket Player still work normally with my Google Devices.

Have tried all regular troubleshooting options without success. Spotify's support is rather disappointing. 

Galaxy s9+, newly installed (1month ago).

Using hands free and headset and phone itself to control assistant.

Linked Spotify to assistant (is default music player)

Checked all settings in spotify

Checked Lls settings in assistant.

When spotify is CLOSED i can say "play mixed" and assistant will say playing your playloat mixed, open spotify and imediatelly start playing.

If spotify is open (or running in background) it only says playing part and shows her silly screen with spotify and open spotify (thay does nothin when pressed) but never plays. Handsfree my **bleep**, spotify can keep their music and i will keep my money for a better music service that takes customer complaints seriously. Internet is full of complaints on the issue and spotify don't seem to care. Adios old spotify 😘

I finally solved the problem. Spotify has to be in "online" mode. Google Asst will not work with it when Spotify is in "offline" mode. Works every time now!

I only run online. Works when it feels like it. Either Spotify or my galaxy s9+ is the culprit. Most likely Spotify as many reported the issue

Just updated my phone to Oreo and unlinked/re-linked my account in Google home. Still can't get it to play any of my playlists via voice. Sucks, especially in the car.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reaching out to the Communtiy.

Please try the following:

• Log out > Restart device > Log back in
  • Reinstall the app

Let us know if that helps! Have a nice day 🙂

Suggested posts