Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

HTC One M8 - Unabkle to save to SD card

Solved!

HTC One M8 - Unabkle to save to SD card

I have read about a number of contributors not being able to do this

Having tried all the options suggested -it appears the spotify app on my phone simply has a serious allergic reaction to my ad card

HTC One M8
16gb with 1gb free
32gb sd card with , formatted and with about 29gb free
I can and already have moved some apps to the card so I know s it works ok

I have tried removing app, unmounting, clearing cache, reformatting and in different sequence but to no avail

Has anyone out there solved this problem on the new HTC One M8

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Great news - this appears to be fixed on the Android update just installed this morning.

Build number is 1.1.0.113

it deleted all prevously downloaded tracks, so you have to reinstall & they go straight to the SD card.

Spoiler

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@Bakewell: yeah it seems to be working now, maybe they fixed it.

Just hope they remove the 3300 song download limit

Marked as solution

Try the steps I outline in this post which worked for me.

34 Replies

You can't move the Spotify app onto the SD card, but Spotify *should* still store it's data there. The Spotify app itself needs to live on main memory as far as I know.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi - I have exactly the same problem with my HTC One M8.

Have emailed support to see if I get a response.

I use Spotify on my M8. I leave all apps on the phone memory, but the cache is stored on the DC Card.

Just FYI - Spotify have probably disabled the flag to allow moving the app to SD card as this means it loses the ability to create/update widgets etc.

It also makes the app slightly slower to perform than being contained on the phone memory.

I personally would set the phone storage to be solely for your apps with all other data (Photo's, Cache etc) to be stored on the SD.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I am having the same problem.

The response you'll get from the community is that the app automatically downloads music on to the SD card if it has more room on it than the phone memory. 

This is not the case with the M8. Unless someone can prove me wrong by showing me the path....

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S5 phone. I just bought a 128 GB SD-card for Spotify.

Also, why do I have to login everytime I visit this forum? So much annoyance right now.

Marked as solution

Great news - this appears to be fixed on the Android update just installed this morning.

Build number is 1.1.0.113

it deleted all prevously downloaded tracks, so you have to reinstall & they go straight to the SD card.

Spoiler

Marked as solution

@SpiderByte wrote:

The 3,333 track limit is still in place I'm afraid. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

What was the solution they gave you? I have exactly the same problem, but strangely it has only arisen since I downloaded the new version of the Spotify app last week after the security alert. I have the same build number as you detailed (1.1.0.113). I have tried deleting caches, reinstalling apps and all that jazz to no avail. Start trying to download with 9.66Gb used on a 16Gb phone but only 3.55Gb used on a 32Gb SD, and still it goes to phone. Then, when the phone is full it won't let me download any more. Aargh! So annoying, because it was all working perfectly until they updated software last week.

If you're using android 4.4.2 then you're stuck with internal storage for now uless you want to root your mobile. The old cache will still be on your external SD under android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui which you may as well delete.

Thnaks, @jwylot. Is this problem with 4.4.2 or is it solely a HTC One M8 issue? I'll email Spotify and see if there are any plans to solve this.

It's a result of changes to permissions in 4.4.2. I'd love to hear what they say as I asked as soon as the android update came out but didn't get very far.

I have an HTC One M8 and also have the same problem. I have a new 64 Gb memory card, I know it works because I've moved photos and other apps to it. I tried clearing the cache and data for Spotify, uninstalling and reinstalling, but still it show 0.00B being stored on the SD card. It seems like a commn problem, and not just for the m8.

Let me know if anyone finds a fix for it

It's very strange really, becaused as per my orginal post it didn't work, but when they rolled out the latest update it just started working magically, so I now have all my spotify stuff on my SD card.

I can only suggest uninstalling & reinstalling etc.

I tried re installing again today, but no luck. Very annoying. I don't know why they don't have it as an option in the settings. I've contacted spotify support so well see what they come back with

Same issue guys with my M8 and and Probs wouldn't of bought this 64gig SD card if I knew it wouldn't work.
Marked as solution

Try the steps I outline in this post which worked for me.

I tried to get some help from Spotify via Twitter, and the end result was "We're working on it, please keep abreast of progress here..." and then they gave me a link back to this discussion forum. Have yet to try technique suggested by @jwylot , hopefully that will work, though, as Spotify don't seem to be rushing to sort it themselves. Thumbs down, guys.

To be honest, I was gobsmacked that it worked for me after all the reports I've seen. Good luck to you @Stuart85 🙂

Suggested posts