Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify does not change heart to green in all cases when you like the track on Android

Spotify does not change heart to green in all cases when you like the track on Android

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Galaxy A40

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Hi, I have problem with liked tracks. It only happens on my phone, so I guess it is a bug in the app, which is updated by now. I click sometimes anywhere on the heart button and it is not green, yet the track is added to liked tracks. Most of the times I click it, it adds it and as well changes to green heart. Why not all likes are showing green when track is playing? Does anyone else have the same issue?

32 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

TW

Device

(HTC U11)

Operating System

(Android 9)

My Question or Issue

The Liked Icon for the Notification as well as the in App is broken for Music "playing that playing in Queue and is not part of a playlist" .

1. In Notification, pressing heart button does not add it to my Liked playlist.

2. In the android app, Pressing the heart button will show "Added to Liked Songs" dialog without the heart getting highlighted. Even if I press is a second time, it just shows "Added to Liked Songs" dialog without the heart getting highlighted so liked songs cant even be removed from liked status. 

*** UNDER THE CONDITION *****

BOTH the above issues are able to be replicated IF you are playing songs that are you QUEUED to play and are NOT just playing a playlist (regardless of what playlist).

If you play songs from playlist, the heart button in notification and in the app works as expected. 

It's the songs that are QUEUED and NOT playing a playlist, is how you replicate the issue. 

So it could be a song you liked before, as long as you queued just the songs(s) to play or set it as autoplay instead of playing the actual playlist, that it should replicate the same problem.

Solutions tried :

Just in case there is no confusion of what I did to TRY to fix the issue, I'll list the Steps, in Order, to resolve the solution. 

** Tried Clean Re-install Solution **

1. I have no SD card so I have not folder to delete in Android File system.

2. I cleared the cache in the Spotify App.

3. I went to Setting in the Android Setting as well to [Clear Cache] as well as [Storage]

4. Then I uninstalled the Spotify App in the Android Setting

5. Turn off my phone and left it off for 3 mins

6. Then Turn on my phone 

7. After it completely finished turning on, I went to Google PlayStore to get the LATEST Version

8. Downloaded and Installed the latest version

9. I turned the phone off again and left it off for 3 mins. 

10. Then turn on my phone again. 

11. Before Opening the App, I went to Android Setting and permitted all Permission

12. In Android Setting, I also DISABLED the Battery Optimization for the Spotify App

13. Then I opened the Spotify

14. Logged in 

15. Was able to replicate the same issue 

** So basically, I did the [CLEAN  UNINSTALL] & [CLEAN INSTALL] of the [Latest VERSION] of the Spotify as recommended by the moderator in the forums.

As well as [SET ALL PERMISSION] & [DISABLED BATTERY OPTIMIZATION]  ***

** excuse the ALL Caps Wording **

I just bolded the text and CAP, to make so I can clearly explain what the situation. 

(not shouting, lol....) 

I included Photos of what happens when I tap heart button of a song a that is playing because i queued it and not by playing its playlist. 

Screenshot_20210328-191810~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210328-191810~3.jpg

  

*** UPDATE ***

It seems to happen every so often. Kinda weird. I hope the team can look into this. 

Hey @Blah44,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the community and pointing out this issue.

We've tried to replicate this on our end and got the same result. Heart button will not indicate (become green) if you like a song from the queue. However the marked songs do end up in Liked songs

Can you let us know if you can see the songs, that you've marked as liked in Liked songs or are they never added to the playlist for you?

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

They are added to the [Liked] Playlist but since the heart button doesn't even show green, you are unable to see if they are liked. 

And after you liked the song (despite not showing green), you are unable to unlike the song from the notification or the Song playing in Queue. 

Whats weird is that if you do go into the liked playlist and play it from there. The heart button issue works just fine, regardless if you want to like it or unlike it and it shows green when liked and not show it when unliked.

I hope this helps.

So the heart issue seems to stem from songs that queued. 

I have read previous posts from other users and my guess is that they probably mistaken their issue was resolved because they probably started playing songs from playlist instead from queued songs after their clean install. 

So the scenario was different because of their issue was occurred when they were playing queued songs. Then after following the instruction of clean install, they were most likely playing songs from their playlist thus mistaken the issue was resolved. 

That is my guess. 

Hey there @vaajy

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

First up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app on your phone to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you make sure that Spotify has all necessary permissions enabled?

1. Open your Settings menu.

2. Scroll to the bottom to find Spotify and open the app settings.

3. Enable everything you see.

It's also a good idea to exclude the app from any Battery optimization software that might be active on your smartphone.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I also add some photos as I am not sure if I described the problem properly.

It is instantly on likedIt is instantly on likedLiked, it said added to list, but is no greenLiked, it said added to list, but is no green

I will try reinstall when will have some time. Also it seems like if you queue same track next time, the green is here on both positions (on picture not green). So I will see if I go through reinstall as I'll need to load big lists on my slow net...

I liked tracks on the phone, so it won't go green until you hear the liked track next time.

Hey @vaajy

Thanks for the clarification 🙂 

Take your time to run a clean reinstall on your phone and let us know how it goes. 

Also, we suggest that you check if the OS of your phone is up to date. 

We'll be waiting for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Clean reinstall seemed to work.

I tried to like on different lists for a test over 20 tracks and every track was green instantly, also when hearted from dropping down the menu with notifications. The only thing, is that I now need to load all 1,335 tracks using my slow 10 Mb net...

But it's done before night sleep for sure when Joe Rogan podcast is running too. I will come back if anything changes.

Thank you again, really enjoy using your app!

Hello again.

It happend again. I found how and when.

It seems like when you play tracks casually, it is fine. If you have tracks in QUEUE and you try to like them.

Problem I described occurs. It says liked, but the like does not change to green unless you play it next time. Even from queue it can sometimes like it and make it green. So I don't know why it happens, but it would be nice if fixed.

My Samsung phone is up to date and battery savings are off.

Reinstalled fully. I'd say it's only few tracks of 10 doing this.

My app version is 8.6.98.900 and Android is 11, A40 Samsung.

Can you send this to developers as it seems like a bug and is something to do with queued tracks only.

Hi @vaajy,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

We were able to partially replicate this issue, so we'd like to investigate this further.

Please share with us a video showing how the issue develops. This way we can take a better look at it from your side.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Thank you.

Sure here is the video.

It seems to be a problem when you queue tracks from lists, the ones liking playing directly from lists does not act this way.

https://streamable.com/yom6jd

Somehow it attached also music sound. I hope you can fix this bug.

Hey there @vaajy,

Thanks for your quick reply 🙂 

We're currently unable to watch the video on the link you sent. Could you upload it again to another platform like Google Drive or YouTube and send that link? You can also attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

Hey @vaajy,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We were unfortunately unable to view the video. Could you please try again sharing it with us? You can upload it on YouTube and then send us the link. We'll investigate this further.

Keep us in the loop.

Ver Moderator

Link worked with anyone else I posted it, so might be a block in your system for Onedrive?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x87mk6z

Password is Spotify

Hey @vaajy

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're afraid we're still unable to watch the video. In this case, could you try uploading it to one of the options we mentioned above, or if possible, attaching it to your reply?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

Hi.

I worked on IT for years, perhaps try to update your flash player, browser, try to watch on another computer or another internet connection. I won't be uploading it to thousands of sites, it's just too time consuming... I am afraid. You were able to reproduce the issue and this is exactly how I do it: queue tracks on Android app Spotify and try to like them.

Heart is not green. When you queue it again and they play, heart appears.

This forum maximum size for files is 5 MB so it is impossible to download 28 MB video.

hpguru_0-1644143805887.png

You just click Submit after writing Spotify as a password on Dailymotion link.

You might also want to try to open Dailymotion on Android.

If I ever go to Sweden, I can show the video right in your HQ for sure where I visited surely in 2014 before. 🙂

Which error messages do you get from Dailymotion for example? I am sure I can help you with IT knowledge.

Is your work network firewall blocking it?

Is here someone from Spotify or no one interested anymore to fix the bugs from your mobile app. Thanks.

Suggested posts