Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Hijacking somebody's iPhone

Solved!

Hijacking somebody's iPhone

Yesterday, I was listening to Spotify in my kitchen.

A connection notification popped up, saying "Connected to Jasper's iPhone [then the normal options: Continue Listening, Listen on this Device]" Meaning that my music from my Android (running the latest update, Marshmellow) was somehow interfering this guy's phone with no direct prompt from me. At the time I figured that, since I was in my kitchen, maybe it was just somehow picking up my nieghbor's signal.

Today, I'm driving down the freeway, halfway to work when the prompt appears again. This means that my music stops playing because this guy, whoever he is, wants to listen on his device (naturally). So I try telling Spotify to start listening on my device instead. This guy, being a joker, decides that he's gonna start playing Orgasm Sounds (seriously, why is this even an option?). It's at this point I realize that, unless I let his device listen to whatever, he is capable of determing what I listen to as well, meaning that I do not have any control over the app I'm paying $10 a month for.

Before you ask, I have no idea who this guy is, and my phone is not jailbroken or otherwise tampered. If I select to disconnect from his device it still doesn't work. I've even disabled Device Broadcast Status, and it still doesn't change anything. I have not attempted to connect to any device other than my computer, and I have no idea why there would even be an option to connect to someone's device over data, let alone somebody's phone and do so automatically. However, if this issue is not resolved, then I have no choice but to cancel my Spotify premium. I use this app every single day, and would love to continue doing that, but I'm really out of options here and don't want ot pay so much money for an app that only works on behalf of somebody I don't even know.

2016-06-21 16.27.18.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The connection between devices is via account, not network. This means that somebody else may be logged into your account. I recommend you do the following:

• Go to your account overview and click 'Sign out everywhere'
  • Change your password

If that doesn't help you should contact Spotify directly using the contact form.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

The connection between devices is via account, not network. This means that somebody else may be logged into your account. I recommend you do the following:

• Go to your account overview and click 'Sign out everywhere'
  • Change your password

If that doesn't help you should contact Spotify directly using the contact form.

So far that seems to have worked. Are there any additional security measures offered to prevent this sort of thing? Something like being notified before a new device can use your account?

And for that matter, are there going to be any reprecussions for people who do **bleep** like this? I understand it's not necessarily as simple as calling the "internet police," but surely there has to be SOME useable information when people who do this sort of thing, right?

Unfortunately the is no 'official' way to turn off the feature that does this. Some fixes that might work for you are located at this link. You may also want to vote on the idea at this link.

I had the same problem. Suddenly, other music started to play and my account switched to Spotify Family instead of Premium. I logged out everything and changed my password but I think some information leaked on Spotify's side.

Suggested posts