How do I change the Daily Drive playlist? The news changes, but the songs haven't changed.

Solved!

How do I change the Daily Drive playlist? The news changes, but the songs haven't changed.

stevearrants
Music Fan

Premium, USA. Pixel 3XL, Oreo, Android Auto. 

The Daily Drive news changes, but the songs don't. Day in, day out, the SAME music. I'm getting tired of it. How do I refresh or change it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

smlee
Casual Listener

Thanks for the solution Hjscott316! I cleared the cache on my android device and by next refresh cycle I had new songs! Just go into the gear icon, disable offline mode, and then clear the local cache, and wait for a bit. Glad I can use this feature again!

View solution in original post

Xenia

Hey all,

Thanks a lot for your feedback – we appreciate it! 

We always aim to improve, so we’ll make sure that we cover your concerns as we speak about these changes internally.

Our developers are already looking into ways to mix up the music within the Daily Drive playlist so it'll update with more variety, but just as a heads up, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for this. If we have any further info, we'll let you know.

Going forward, we'd like to refer you to the Idea Exchange in the Community for any further feedback you might have and suggest you add your +VOTE to this idea

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

We hope you'll find this information useful and we’ll be here for you if there's anything else you'd like to ask.

102 Replies

sodden

I've been paying for a premium account since 2012, and I'm about ready to try a new service. To be clear: reinstalling the app isn't going to help. This is a much larger problem. I noticed it in late 2019, tried every method of troubleshooting, and finally contacted the support team. They suggested I log out and log back in, which I'd already explained didn't work.

It took a lot of back and forth, but eventually I was told (this is a quote) "We've noticed a slight hiccup with your offline cache, but we can refresh this on our end." A slight hiccup? My very own backend offline cache error? That's odd. It did solve the problem... for three days, and then it immediately returned.

Clearly this is a massive, cross-platform issue owing to a critical error in the real-time data processing pipeline. It's what engineers get paid a lot of money to prevent and/or fix. So why aren't they?

tonyyy72

This has been bugging me for a while, interesting that it's been going on so long. 

Edit: clearing the cache did not work. Oh well.

Casual Listener

I love the concept of Daily Drive but mine has been playing the same songs for about 3 months now. I listen to a ton of new music all the time so why isn't it adding those? You need to be able to mark a song "don't play again". That seems like a pretty simple feature.

GarNix
Casual Listener

Not only for songs, but also for podcasts. And not only for one special episode, but also for the whole podcast. Last week i've got an podcast episode from a podcast i've never heard before with a topic, which is completely useless for me: About the use of alternatives to sanitary napkins. I am a man. I don't need it and I don't care. How in the heck does the Spotify algorithm get it from that? I don't listen to podcasts in Spotify at all, by the way.

olivia_f
Music Fan

Agree, some of the songs that are added are not of any interest to me and it'd be amazing to be able to dismiss those and tell the algorithm not to include that song in future playlists. As an added bonus, it'd be really nice to select songs to add to the feed.

onplanners

MARS21
Casual Listener

I wish we had the ability to hear more of our favorite music. 

MARS21
Casual Listener

Same here. Have you been able to hear more of your playlist?

Tragix
Casual Listener

I love Daily Drive, or at least I did for the first few days. While the news changes, the songs have stayed the same for a long time. Please fix!

Mario

Hey @Tragix and @matzehah,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Do you still experience this after a clean reinstall of the app?

Hope you'll find this useful. Keep us posted!

MarioModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"There's more to living than only surviving." - Dexter Holland

matzehah
Casual Listener

Thanks for replying. Yes, I still have this issue.

However, I think it works as designed.

The Daily Drive seems to select music from the heavy rotation lists (On Repeat/Repeat Rewind). These lists are very stable over time and do change rarly. At least for me.

This causes Daily Drive also being kind of boring in terms of music diversity.

I believe it would be better to switch to a selection of songs from the daily mixes or so instead - or just let the user decide.

stormysho
Casual Listener

It can’t just be that. I have been listening to random shuffle on my thousands of “Liked” songs, even when not paying attention, for MONTHS to try to get one drop of diversity in my daily drive— It’s literally still the EXACT SAME 10 SONG every single day in a different order. Sometimes it shuffles around between the same 20. Apparently skipping before 30 seconds is supposed to subvert it going into the algorithm and I skip every song immediately to get to the podcasts, often before they can even play. Spotify has just become a compounded trashfire of consistently increasing dysfunction & removed features without customer service beyond “did you restart it” and then getting gaslit. 

Katerina

Hey there @matzehah,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

It sounds like you were able to resolve what was happening 🙂

Keep in mind that other Spotify users have mentioned that they'd enjoy more a more customizable Daily Drive. If that's something that you'd also like to see, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and comment in this idea. However, if you'd like to suggest something different, you can always submit your own idea so other users can support it - you can find out how here.

For more info on how ideas can get implemented, we'd recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Tim_U
Music Fan

@Katerina:

When the same set of songs is used day after day after day, this makes the playlist unbearable and unfit for purpose.  Therefore the request to get the songs to change is not an enhancement request, but a bug.  This issue should not get conflated with the idea referenced above for making the playlist more customizable, as that is a true enhancement request.  Asking that the music change from a daily reshuffling of the same ~20 songs is asking for bare minimum functionality to make the feature usable for more than 2 days.  Please escalate this issue as a bug.

Tim_U
Music Fan

Apparently this bug has finally gotten reported to the development team and is hopefully getting addressed. See: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Daily-Drive-not-updating-at-all/m-p/5073344/highlight/...

matzehah
Casual Listener

Yepp, same problem on my end.

Same songs on Android App, Web-App and Windows-App.

EmilioK
Visitor

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Iphone 5s/Stationary Computer

Operating System

Windows 10

So I recently got the Daily Drive playlist on my account and it's been 3 days and yet the second and third day have not been updated with new music or news.

It's still stuck on fridays news (the 6'th of March)

The weird thing is that the first day it updated twice, I just can't for the life of me figure out if there is something on my end I could do to make this thing work since I really, really love the concept.

(First post on the community so please excuse me if this was posted in the wrong place)

Alex

Hi there everybody,

Thanks for your detailed replies.

We know it might be frustrating to keep hearing the same songs over and over again. We want to let you know that this issue has been reported to the right team and they are looking into it. We cannot say exactly when or if there will be a resolution. 

In the meantime another thing you can try is to search for 'Your Daily Drive' in the Search bar. After that unfollow the playlist, and then search for and follow it again.

Hope you find this info helpful.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

SetarconeX
Visitor

It's been about a week, can we get an update on this?  I know nobody committed to a timeline (or fixing it at all), but can we at least get a 'I checked, someone's working on this, it's not just sitting in a mailbox"?

This really used to be my favorite feature, and it's frustrating having a broken button on the homescreen, looking at me every morning and reminding me how good things used to be.

JKMarks
Regular
Yes, they’ve replied that their developers are working on it. But IT engineers will never supply a timeline, bc they don’t know when the solution will appear. It’s just testing and retesting until... Eureka! Also, they may have more important money-driven tasks dictated by supervisors, but at least they’ve acknowledged it should & could work differently.

Binkfloyd
Casual Listener

I agree! It used to be my favorite feature, too. And now it is just stale and unusable. I have tried everything, deleted cache, logged out, (also never followed the playlist) and it is the same songs. It is super frustrating, and I just don't listen to it anymore. 

SUGGESTED POSTS