Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How do I change the Daily Drive playlist? The news changes, but the songs haven't changed.

Solved!

How do I change the Daily Drive playlist? The news changes, but the songs haven't changed.

Premium, USA. Pixel 3XL, Oreo, Android Auto. 

The Daily Drive news changes, but the songs don't. Day in, day out, the SAME music. I'm getting tired of it. How do I refresh or change it?

112 Replies

Thanks, but this doesn´t change anything regarding the content of the
playlist, so this seems not to be the suggested solution.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We appreciate your feedback and will make sure to forward it to the right team. You can check these steps and create an idea about it. That way other users can also support it. 

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

No this problem is NOT solved. How do we get it back on Spotify's radar?

How do we get Spotify support to acknowledge that this is a current bug that is NOT solved by the related issued tagged as such? There is no way on this forum to reopen an issue incorrectly marked as solved, and other related issues seem to be getting no traction since Spotify seems to be under the impression that the issue has been resolved.

Related issue: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/How-do-I-change-the-Daily-Drive-playlist-The-news-changes-b...

def seems like a bug not an idea or feature request to ask why the daily drive playlist doesn't work properly.. my frustration is I can play it in my car or directly on my phone, but I can't play it on network connected speakers, it just starts it for 2 seconds and stops it.. all other playlists work fine. def seems like a bug. I don't think an "idea" should be Spotify should function as expected... pure laziness if thats the case..

Yepp, same problem on my end.

Same songs on Android App, Web-App and Windows-App.

Hey @Tragix and @matzehah,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Do you still experience this after a clean reinstall of the app?

Hope you'll find this useful. Keep us posted!

Mario Moderator

Thanks for replying. Yes, I still have this issue.

However, I think it works as designed.

The Daily Drive seems to select music from the heavy rotation lists (On Repeat/Repeat Rewind). These lists are very stable over time and do change rarly. At least for me.

This causes Daily Drive also being kind of boring in terms of music diversity.

I believe it would be better to switch to a selection of songs from the daily mixes or so instead - or just let the user decide.

Hey there @matzehah,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

It sounds like you were able to resolve what was happening 🙂

Keep in mind that other Spotify users have mentioned that they'd enjoy more a more customizable Daily Drive. If that's something that you'd also like to see, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and comment in this idea. However, if you'd like to suggest something different, you can always submit your own idea so other users can support it - you can find out how here.

For more info on how ideas can get implemented, we'd recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all your feedback - We appreciate it and will make sure that your voice will be heard!

If you're seeing the same songs in Your Daily Drive every day while the podcast episodes change as expected, it's important that you regularly listen to music outside the Made For You playlists and don't have a Private Session activated. Could you try this for 3-4 days and let us know if the tracks in Your Daily Drive update after that?

@ldubomd, it sounds like you're experiencing a different issue. Can you play any podcasts on your speakers with Spotify Connect or are you having this issue just with Your Daily Drive? If it's podcasts in general, we'd recommend checking out this idea.

Keep us posted! We’ll be happy to help further, just give us a shout 🙂

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

@Xenia,

If you're seeing the same songs in Your Daily Drive every day while the podcast episodes change as expected, it's important that you regularly listen to music outside the Made For You playlists 

So, let me see if I've got this straight.  In order for Spotify to provide any variety whatsoever in its auto-generated recommendations for Daily Drive, users must regularly listen to a variety of other music in Spotify prior in order to keep reseeding your algorithm?  Furthermore, said variety cannot originate from any other auto-generated recommendations (i.e., all the other Made For You playlists), users must go and find that variety for themselves?  And given that the Daily Drive is itself a Made For You playlist, if all a user listens to is the Daily Drive, then by design it would always repeat the same small set of songs?

I can tell you without even testing that this design choice is the source of the problem for me.  My primary purpose in using Spotify is to be exposed to new songs and artists aligned with my tastes.  I routinely - almost exclusively - listen to "Made For You" playlists (such as Your Daily Mix, and Discover Weekly), and I regularly tag songs to add them to my Liked Songs with the intent of tuning your algorithms with more data about my tastes.  I seldomly go elsewhere in Spotify (e.g., searching for artists by name, or another user's playlists) as I'm not as likely to find things that I like, and I'm trying to be exposed to new stuff that I'm not even aware of, so by definition I don't know where to look.  I don't care to poke around randomly hoping to find things I might like - I subscribe to Spotify to save me from having to do precisely that.  I don't want to be burdened by the effort, nor do I want to be saddled with having your algorithms presume that just because I happened to encounter a song once that I like it and want to hear it again.

I also go through occasional extended periods where my only time listening to Spotify is on my daily commute.  In theory, the Daily Drive playlist would be perfect for that, and by its name, I presume it was envisioned for that use case.  But it clearly not designed well to fit for that purpose, as it would never generate new recommendations if that was all that a person listened to.

The Your Daily Mix playlists do a reasonable job of creating variety - why is the music portion of the Daily Drive not created as if it were just another Your Daily Mix?  Maybe users could configure the source of the music for Daily Drive by selecting among existing playlists?  Or alternately, you could just pick randomly from my hundreds of Liked Songs or the thousand songs in my personal playlists.  ANYTHING would be better than your current choice of serving up the same content day after day after day. 

As designed, the Daily Drive is critically flawed and useless to me.  It fails to deliver on its core purpose, thus I see the request to fix it as a bug report rather than an enhancement request.

I agree, Spotify needs to put this on their to do list. This many people have this problem means it’s a bug on your end not a constant thing we need to do. I’ve tried clearing the cache, unfollowing, logging off, force closing with no success. I listened to the lion king song once, didn’t even favorite the song and now it’s on my daily drive for eternity. 

Another workaround for this bug was suggested here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Daily-Drive-not-updating-at-all/m-p/5050313# 

I've not tried it myself as it is counter to my purpose of using Daily Drive.

This exactly! I subscribe and listen for your algorithm to see what songs I’ve liked and creat something you think I would like. I want to hear new exciting bands that correlate with my tastes as stated before. Making the user go out and find everything defeats the point in algorithms. I played lion king music for my son once and now there are 3 lion king songs stuck on my daily drive with the only fix being hide the song (no idea what that even means as it still appears on the playlist just darker out). Please add the functionality as I’m tired of listening to the same thing. I don’t even want to use the service due to how repetitive it is. 

@Katerina:

When the same set of songs is used day after day after day, this makes the playlist unbearable and unfit for purpose.  Therefore the request to get the songs to change is not an enhancement request, but a bug.  This issue should not get conflated with the idea referenced above for making the playlist more customizable, as that is a true enhancement request.  Asking that the music change from a daily reshuffling of the same ~20 songs is asking for bare minimum functionality to make the feature usable for more than 2 days.  Please escalate this issue as a bug.

I hope all following this post READ this! In an email with Support, spotify basically said developers won’t even start to entertain a suggested edit to the UI functionality until a Community post receives over 100 likes... so like away every single gripe on this thread! Tell your friends & family to do the same. Here is part of their response, — “Your idea is something that can help many people with the same issue. You can post it on our ideas forum. That way, other users can vote for your idea or leave their comments to support it.

Stay tuned for the status of the idea on the Spotify Community website. Once the idea receives 100 votes, our team evaluates it and passes it on to the appropriate Spotify team for implementation analysis. We've already implemented other user-suggested enhancements , such as Chromecast support, the Xbox app, and the return of Your Year in Music campaign.”

Xania, I think the issue here is for users that already have a ton of content liked and playlists tagged, we shouldn’t have to listen every day just to switch it up. Spotify Already suggests alternate artists I might like when I like a song. Why doesn’t Spotify want to change the algorithm to draw from the plethora of data, likes, and playlists already associated with each listener’s account to give us a fresh set with the daily drive? Is it b/c then we might not listen to the music everyday ... does Spotify profit less? Why is it so hard to convince you guys to listen to what we’re asking??

So basically they said, if you want us to fix this blatant error on our side we need to see 100 people like this extremely unfriendly user voting system that maybe 10 percent of the Spotify community gets on? Customer support champs...

Unfortunately this doesn't work for Win10 App. I cleared the cache manually, but always the same songs appear.

I also have the same problem on every device.

Even when I clear the cache in the Win10 App or the iPhone it doesn't load new songs, it always plays the same (about 30-40 songs).

Now comes the best part: The same songs are played, even when I select the option "hide from Daily Drive" on the iPhone!

Under Windows this option is not available at all, but that doesn't matter, because it doesn't work anyway

Suggested posts