How do I change the Daily Drive playlist? The news changes, but the songs haven't changed.

Solved!

How do I change the Daily Drive playlist? The news changes, but the songs haven't changed.

stevearrants
Music Fan

Premium, USA. Pixel 3XL, Oreo, Android Auto. 

The Daily Drive news changes, but the songs don't. Day in, day out, the SAME music. I'm getting tired of it. How do I refresh or change it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

smlee
Casual Listener

Thanks for the solution Hjscott316! I cleared the cache on my android device and by next refresh cycle I had new songs! Just go into the gear icon, disable offline mode, and then clear the local cache, and wait for a bit. Glad I can use this feature again!

View solution in original post

Xenia

Hey all,

Thanks a lot for your feedback – we appreciate it! 

We always aim to improve, so we’ll make sure that we cover your concerns as we speak about these changes internally.

Our developers are already looking into ways to mix up the music within the Daily Drive playlist so it'll update with more variety, but just as a heads up, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for this. If we have any further info, we'll let you know.

Going forward, we'd like to refer you to the Idea Exchange in the Community for any further feedback you might have and suggest you add your +VOTE to this idea

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

We hope you'll find this information useful and we’ll be here for you if there's anything else you'd like to ask.

102 Replies

Tim_U
Music Fan
@Alex - thank you for finally reporting this issue to the development team so that it can be addressed. It has been extremely frustrating trying to get this past the moderator gatekeepers and reported as an issue. The community system and Idea Exchange seem to work fine for requesting enhancements, but when a bug is encountered such as this (where the product does not work as intended / is not fit for purpose, and a coding change is required to fix it) the system impedes the flow of information. There really needs to be a bug reporting system whereby the community can report bugs to the product development teams without having to spend months convincing moderators that there really is a problem and that their workaround suggestions are not a real solution.

JKMarks
Regular
@Alex, Appreciate your efforts to reply & find a solution.

The note to unfollow the Daily Drive makes no sense for me. I’ve never followed it. It’s simply something that appears in my “Library” sidebar ‘Made for You.’ And it’s specifically only mine, attributed to my name, so it’s not as if I was following an app-wide Spotify playlist to begin with. I don’t even have it “liked” or the heart icon clicked.

##- Please type your reply above this line -#

Mihail

Hey @JKMarks,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Could you upload a screenshot of how the Daily Drive appears in the app at your end in the playlist view? You can use the Insert Photo option in the post editor, just make sure to hide any private/ sensitive info.

Keep us posted, well be on the lookout for your reply.

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

Tim_U
Music Fan
How do we get Spotify support to acknowledge that this is a current bug that is NOT solved by the related issued tagged as such? There is no way on this forum to reopen an issue incorrectly marked as solved, and other related issues seem to be getting no traction since Spotify seems to be under the impression that the issue has been resolved.

Related issue: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/How-do-I-change-the-Daily-Drive-playlist-The-news-changes-b...

meadify

Same problem every day for me. It's a struggle to get the MacOS Spotify Client to update to the correct day for the daily drive. I restart, go offline, over and over and then it will eventually update. The text says it's Wednesday, the track when it plays says "Welcome to you Daily Drive for Thursday". But guess what, it's actually Friday. Please fix Spotify.

Ver

Hey everyone,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We appreciate your feedback and will make sure to forward it to the right team. You can check these steps and create an idea about it. That way other users can also support it. 

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

ldubomd
Visitor
def seems like a bug not an idea or feature request to ask why the daily drive playlist doesn't work properly.. my frustration is I can play it in my car or directly on my phone, but I can't play it on network connected speakers, it just starts it for 2 seconds and stops it.. all other playlists work fine. def seems like a bug. I don't think an "idea" should be Spotify should function as expected... pure laziness if thats the case..

Xenia

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all your feedback - We appreciate it and will make sure that your voice will be heard!

If you're seeing the same songs in Your Daily Drive every day while the podcast episodes change as expected, it's important that you regularly listen to music outside the Made For You playlists and don't have a Private Session activated. Could you try this for 3-4 days and let us know if the tracks in Your Daily Drive update after that?

@ldubomd, it sounds like you're experiencing a different issue. Can you play any podcasts on your speakers with Spotify Connect or are you having this issue just with Your Daily Drive? If it's podcasts in general, we'd recommend checking out this idea.

Keep us posted! We’ll be happy to help further, just give us a shout 🙂

XeniaModerator
"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen

BlondeKDC
Visitor

I've tried this solution much longer than 3-4 days to no avail.

I almost never listen to "Made for you" playlists other than Daily Drive and I have been a user for a long time with extensive personal playlists and more than 225 liked songs. I am a premium subscriber with a 6 account family plan.  I use it on my android phone and windows desktop.

My Daily Drive plays the same songs every day. The podcasts update. I have not played any "Made for You" playlists in at least two weeks other than Daily Drive, I have played my own playlists outside of that and it still plays the same songs. I've never used a private session to my knowledge, it isn't enabled, and I use online mode almost all the time.

I have cleared my cache in Spotify, cleared the cache on my phone, uninstalled Spotify from my desktop and my phone and reinstalled it. No suggestions have made any change. 

jfkarle
Casual Listener

JKMarks
Regular

Xania, I think the issue here is for users that already have a ton of content liked and playlists tagged, we shouldn’t have to listen every day just to switch it up. Spotify Already suggests alternate artists I might like when I like a song. Why doesn’t Spotify want to change the algorithm to draw from the plethora of data, likes, and playlists already associated with each listener’s account to give us a fresh set with the daily drive? Is it b/c then we might not listen to the music everyday ... does Spotify profit less? Why is it so hard to convince you guys to listen to what we’re asking??

Tim_U
Music Fan

@Xenia,

If you're seeing the same songs in Your Daily Drive every day while the podcast episodes change as expected, it's important that you regularly listen to music outside the Made For You playlists 

So, let me see if I've got this straight.  In order for Spotify to provide any variety whatsoever in its auto-generated recommendations for Daily Drive, users must regularly listen to a variety of other music in Spotify prior in order to keep reseeding your algorithm?  Furthermore, said variety cannot originate from any other auto-generated recommendations (i.e., all the other Made For You playlists), users must go and find that variety for themselves?  And given that the Daily Drive is itself a Made For You playlist, if all a user listens to is the Daily Drive, then by design it would always repeat the same small set of songs?

I can tell you without even testing that this design choice is the source of the problem for me.  My primary purpose in using Spotify is to be exposed to new songs and artists aligned with my tastes.  I routinely - almost exclusively - listen to "Made For You" playlists (such as Your Daily Mix, and Discover Weekly), and I regularly tag songs to add them to my Liked Songs with the intent of tuning your algorithms with more data about my tastes.  I seldomly go elsewhere in Spotify (e.g., searching for artists by name, or another user's playlists) as I'm not as likely to find things that I like, and I'm trying to be exposed to new stuff that I'm not even aware of, so by definition I don't know where to look.  I don't care to poke around randomly hoping to find things I might like - I subscribe to Spotify to save me from having to do precisely that.  I don't want to be burdened by the effort, nor do I want to be saddled with having your algorithms presume that just because I happened to encounter a song once that I like it and want to hear it again.

I also go through occasional extended periods where my only time listening to Spotify is on my daily commute.  In theory, the Daily Drive playlist would be perfect for that, and by its name, I presume it was envisioned for that use case.  But it clearly not designed well to fit for that purpose, as it would never generate new recommendations if that was all that a person listened to.

The Your Daily Mix playlists do a reasonable job of creating variety - why is the music portion of the Daily Drive not created as if it were just another Your Daily Mix?  Maybe users could configure the source of the music for Daily Drive by selecting among existing playlists?  Or alternately, you could just pick randomly from my hundreds of Liked Songs or the thousand songs in my personal playlists.  ANYTHING would be better than your current choice of serving up the same content day after day after day. 

As designed, the Daily Drive is critically flawed and useless to me.  It fails to deliver on its core purpose, thus I see the request to fix it as a bug report rather than an enhancement request.

Lizandi217

I agree. It should just create a playlist out of the over 9,000 songs I have 'Liked'. Somehow songs I don't like today on a daily basis. 

I delete my cache on a daily basis, yet still the same songs play every day.

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

We appreciate you contributing to this thread so far.

As @Xenia mentioned in this post, our goal is to improve the app and your feedback is always appreciated.

We suggest making sure to head over to the idea that's been provided in her post and continue leaving your feedback there. It's also a good idea to subscribe to stay in the loop.

We'd like to ensure we continue gathering and passing on all of your feedback, so we'll be closing this thread for comments now.

If any other issues or questions with Daily Drive come up, don't hesitate to let us know in a new thread in the relevant Help boards.

Take care! 

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

fbbg
Another thought - problem for me started when "thegetup" morning show started. One wonders if Spotify is neglecting Daily Drive to support the new program. Kinda sucks if so...

syntheticchaos
Casual Listener

This exactly! I subscribe and listen for your algorithm to see what songs I’ve liked and creat something you think I would like. I want to hear new exciting bands that correlate with my tastes as stated before. Making the user go out and find everything defeats the point in algorithms. I played lion king music for my son once and now there are 3 lion king songs stuck on my daily drive with the only fix being hide the song (no idea what that even means as it still appears on the playlist just darker out). Please add the functionality as I’m tired of listening to the same thing. I don’t even want to use the service due to how repetitive it is. 

swizzygardner
Visitor
  1. Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My daily drive has been the same for months now and only the news changes. So background info that might be useful; the songs on my daily drive are the same songs on the playlists "On Repeat" and "Repeat Rewind" combined. I've tried the deleting of stored cache and turning offline mode off and uninstalled and reinstalled the app. All things that were mentioned in another "solved" thread. It's gotten pretty annoying at this point. If anyone knows how to actually get correspondence with customer service, that would be greatly appreciated. Phone: Samsung S10
  2. Update a week later: I got in contact with customer service and their immediate resolution was to listen to different music lol but as something to get me out of the chat, they said they would check the algorithm. So far, no change. 

fzocher
Casual Listener

I tried the same after being in contact with Helpdesk but just the Order of the titles changes but not the titles themselves.

MisterStrange
Casual Listener

I have had the same songs in my daily drive for months now, to the point I even started going to some of the artists pages and selecting "do not play this artist" JUST so I can stop listening to the same **bleep**.  I just don't understand why I'm being forced to hate some of the songs I used to love.  I'm moving off Spotify (for the 3rd time now) because of **bleep** like this that support just fails to even recognize or address. 

Same problem here, but mine has been going on for months. My news snippets update daily with the correct information, but I have had the same songs, for the  most part in the same order for a long time. I agree I love the concept but I'm tired of it playing the exact same songs. 

iPhone 7: iOS 13.3.1

fzocher
Casual Listener

Hi I have the same problem on all my devices: news is updated several times a day but music stays the same always. I use iOS 13.1.

SUGGESTED POSTS