Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to store offline music on the external SD card

Solved!

How to store offline music on the external SD card

https://www.spotify.com/se/help/faq/mobile/android-how-do-i-store-offline-music-on-the-external-sd-c...

The steps in this guide doesn't work on my samsung galaxy ace 2 with the latest version of spotify mobile. I cant access the setupscreen through the hardware menukey and i need help!

I'm using the newest version of spotify mobile 0.5.1.15.g81977995

on my mphone with gingerbread 2.3.6

does anyoone have a solution for my problem? 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ah poo.

It's unfortunately the final straw for me.  I already downgraded my subscription because the 'offline' play mode is what i wanted - I'll use on the desktop for now still, but will find another solution for the mobile app.

I don't really understand why spotify took off what is really an essential feature.

also, for spotify admins, please remove the website FAQ that tells people incorrectly that they can still do this.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@acallaghan wrote:

I am mesmerised that I cannot use my micro SD to store tracks for Offline play. I will cancel subscription if this is not fixed ASAP. It has taken me weeks of frustration to work out this is why my playlists keep dissapearing.

It's just not acceptable and makes no sense. And how do I actually make a formal complaint about this to be solved anyone?

You can contact Spotify using the Support Form.

Be aware that this issue has been in place since the creation of the new look app.

Marked as solution

That's right, as Josef has said - version 0.5.12 will store your data in the most efficient location on your phone/device.

To get this to work the first time you may just have to use the new 'delete cache' option in the settings and relaunch the app.

We're discussing this particular release over here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Release-Notes-Spotify-for-Android-0-5-12-52/td-p/353438... 

So please let us know how you get on with this feature.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

44 Replies

Hey, in new version this option is under consideration. However, you are not ignored by Spotify; Spotify is working hard to make a new Android app even better! In the meantime, keep an eye on the Spotify blog. http://www.spotify.com/blog/

You can see some cool stuff like Radio in Spotify for Android very soon! Now just enjoy music...

My suggestion: WTF! – Da Bop - Video Edit

This wasnt my question, i need to sync my playlists because I work in an enviroment where i cant use the radio transmitters on my phone. 1 gb wich i have for internal storage in my phone is not enought for my playlists so i need spotify to access my memorycard.

is there no way to do this in the new android version?

As I say, this is under consideration. However I dno not know when people can see this implemented on this new app.

Spotify is surely working on a update to Android app. Hope that this update add a microsd support too.

Tis is well discussed (and complained about already) in one of the larger theses on the first page of this forum http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Exit-button/td-p/79021

Please add your comment there as Spotify will take more notice (hopefully) of larger threads than thousands of small ones that keep pushing the larger threads off the top
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Root your phone, then you can move the entire app to SD (and any other app for that matter).

reks: Great, so we void a warranty so we can use a feature previously implemented? why couldn't they just have left it in?

Even if you root your phone, you can't just move the files to the SD Card!

The issue Spotify has is that Android does not allow moving apps on SD card AND use it as a widget at the same time.

Marked as solution

Ah poo.

It's unfortunately the final straw for me.  I already downgraded my subscription because the 'offline' play mode is what i wanted - I'll use on the desktop for now still, but will find another solution for the mobile app.

I don't really understand why spotify took off what is really an essential feature.

also, for spotify admins, please remove the website FAQ that tells people incorrectly that they can still do this.

yeah I agree, it should be removed.

The only solution I found is to buy a 32GB internal memory phone (Samsung Galaxy S3), instead of the 16GB internal memoery I had before!

I  downgraded my subscription too. The 'offline' play mode is what i need to use spotify in my car and forget CD.

This feature should be back with the upcoming release of Spotify for Android. 

Thanks Rorey,

just as feedback, I want to want to use spotify as my main player - mixing my downloaded library with an ability to discover and play new songs when I'm out. 

Its important imo that spotify determines the key features and never changes them.  else, I'm distrustfull.  If I can't be sure it's always going to be there I go back to store n sync, which is what i've moved to now with winamp.

I'll keep my desktop app, and maybe get tempted again in the future to upgrade to the mobile, but only when I know I wont have a 'bad' upgrade.

Is there any ETA for the new app release and a list of things getting back to the software? Like the landscape mode / screen orientation / screen rotation etc. when docked.

My Galaxy Note is full of offline playlists since I can't use my memory card.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Great news!!

But anyway I have problems today with the download of offline list in my android smartphone (Galaxy S3) I choose the list that i want to download but the download doesn't start, anyone with the same problem?

Thanks

For me, it sometimes takes a long time to actually start, but eventually it always does. Could take like minutes....

@neo-x wrote:
Is there any ETA for the new app release and a list of things getting back to the software? Like the landscape mode / screen orientation / screen rotation etc. when docked.

i guess some people never learn...

There is a workaround to this issue. They look like too many steps, but I tried to be as descriptive as possible.

1.- Uninstall Spotify from your phone.

2.- Download an old version of Spotify and install it.

This is the version of Spotify I used to do this on my phone: http://sdrv.ms/P0z6CM

3.- Open the newly installed Spotify. *DON'T LOGIN*

4.- On the login screen, press the menu button on your phone and you'll see 2 options. Select the one that makes a reference to SD location (I don't remember the actual words).

5.- Enter the location of your External SD Card. In my case it was /external_sd .

6.- Save changes.

7.- Login to Spotify.

8.- Make 1 playlist available offline. This will create the Directory structure on the external SD Card and save some of your fles.

9.- Verify that the SD Card has a new directory named Android and the Spotify directory is inside it. You can also check the size of the directory to be sure that the files were saved there.

10.- Close Spotify and go to the Play Store.

11.- Look for the Spotify app and select the option to Update. Now the new version of Spotify will use the external SD card to store your music.

Apologies my friend. We can't comment on release dates but we're watching these threads closely, especially ones regarding the SD card feature. We'll post here as soon as we have something for you guys. Hang in there. 

This was bloody hardcore, but it worked.

For those of you who wish to follow this procedure with a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2: the location for the external sd-card is /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. The chance exists that it still writes tracks to your local storage. If so, clear all settings and cache, log out, reset all settings, and try again. it should work.

I'm amazed that Spotify messed up badly here. On my Alcatel OT995 (running Android 2.3 just the same), it just picked the largest storage device. On Samsung, it keeps trying to write everything to the local storage. That's just silly. 

Updated: the following links might help you if you have problems with this issue:

http://www.julian-young.com/2011/04/21/finding-the-spotify-external-sd-location/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/189426-spofity-sd-card.html

Suggested posts