How to store offline music on the external SD card

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: How to store offline music on the external SD card

jvinyals

I  downgraded my subscription too. The 'offline' play mode is what i need to use spotify in my car and forget CD.

Rorey
Spotify Legend

This feature should be back with the upcoming release of Spotify for Android. 

tongzie
Casual Listener

Thanks Rorey,

just as feedback, I want to want to use spotify as my main player - mixing my downloaded library with an ability to discover and play new songs when I'm out. 

Its important imo that spotify determines the key features and never changes them.  else, I'm distrustfull.  If I can't be sure it's always going to be there I go back to store n sync, which is what i've moved to now with winamp.

I'll keep my desktop app, and maybe get tempted again in the future to upgrade to the mobile, but only when I know I wont have a 'bad' upgrade.

neo-x
Community Legend
Is there any ETA for the new app release and a list of things getting back to the software? Like the landscape mode / screen orientation / screen rotation etc. when docked.

My Galaxy Note is full of offline playlists since I can't use my memory card.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

dunattar

Great news!!

But anyway I have problems today with the download of offline list in my android smartphone (Galaxy S3) I choose the list that i want to download but the download doesn't start, anyone with the same problem?

Thanks

Tierix
Casual Listener

For me, it sometimes takes a long time to actually start, but eventually it always does. Could take like minutes....

-------------------------------------------
SGS3 32GB ICS 4.0.4
Want to learn French via Skype? Visit: www.frenchmadesimple.com

stingraysc
Roadie

@neo-x wrote:
Is there any ETA for the new app release and a list of things getting back to the software? Like the landscape mode / screen orientation / screen rotation etc. when docked.

i guess some people never learn...

jaReyes

There is a workaround to this issue. They look like too many steps, but I tried to be as descriptive as possible.

1.- Uninstall Spotify from your phone.

2.- Download an old version of Spotify and install it.

This is the version of Spotify I used to do this on my phone: http://sdrv.ms/P0z6CM

3.- Open the newly installed Spotify. *DON'T LOGIN*

4.- On the login screen, press the menu button on your phone and you'll see 2 options. Select the one that makes a reference to SD location (I don't remember the actual words).

5.- Enter the location of your External SD Card. In my case it was /external_sd .

6.- Save changes.

7.- Login to Spotify.

8.- Make 1 playlist available offline. This will create the Directory structure on the external SD Card and save some of your fles.

9.- Verify that the SD Card has a new directory named Android and the Spotify directory is inside it. You can also check the size of the directory to be sure that the files were saved there.

10.- Close Spotify and go to the Play Store.

11.- Look for the Spotify app and select the option to Update. Now the new version of Spotify will use the external SD card to store your music.

Rorey
Spotify Legend

Apologies my friend. We can't comment on release dates but we're watching these threads closely, especially ones regarding the SD card feature. We'll post here as soon as we have something for you guys. Hang in there. 

ingejanse
Roadie

This was bloody hardcore, but it worked.

For those of you who wish to follow this procedure with a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2: the location for the external sd-card is /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. The chance exists that it still writes tracks to your local storage. If so, clear all settings and cache, log out, reset all settings, and try again. it should work.

I'm amazed that Spotify messed up badly here. On my Alcatel OT995 (running Android 2.3 just the same), it just picked the largest storage device. On Samsung, it keeps trying to write everything to the local storage. That's just silly. 

Updated: the following links might help you if you have problems with this issue:

http://www.julian-young.com/2011/04/21/finding-the-spotify-external-sd-location/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/189426-spofity-sd-card.html

SUGGESTED POSTS